Okay, So I'm Ready To Try...

Decorating By kjt Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm by KASCARLETT

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a couple of practice cakes for a May wedding.
I'll try to attach a picture-it will be tiny, but hopefully some of you will have seen it. It was in The Knot last summer.

I have not had good results with fondant, but the cake she wants has brush embroidery.

Here are my questions:
How thick is the bc layer under the fondant?
Do I let it crust before laying on the fondant?

How about chocopan?
I've read that some you you find chocopan easier to work with when mixed with fondant-what's the ratio you use?
Also same question...do I let the bc crust?

Any other tips will be GREATLY appreciated icon_rolleyes.gif !

icon_confused.gif Can't seem to add the pic...

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, the buttercream shouldn't be too thick. I put the crumbcoat and then roll out my fondant and then cover the cake. In Sugarshack's DVD, she puts the crumbcoated cake in the freezer until she finish rolling the fondant. Then take the cake out and then cover it with fondant.

HTH.

kjt Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 8

thanks bashini, so the bc is just basically a crumbcoat???

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

thanks bashini, so the bc is just basically a crumbcoat???

Sorry for the late reply, but you have to put a bit more than a crumbcoat.

Sorry if I confused you.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 8

You can do brush embroidery on crusting buttercream, it doesn't have to be fondant.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

I use a regular layer of BC under my fondant and I thought sugarshack did too. I'm going to have to watch her video again.

kjt Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASCARLETT

You can do brush embroidery on crusting buttercream, it doesn't have to be fondant.

Okay, I think I got it...and I'm going to do two practice cakes, one fondant/chocopan, and one crusting bc. Any difference to embroidery on the bc-other than a lighter touch? And do you use corn syrup to thin the bc for painting? I can use bc, right, not just RI.

Again, thanks for all the replies! icon_smile.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 8

You can use buttercream as long as it is a crusting bc. Make sure it is set before you do the embroidery work on it. The bc will need to be thinned a little, but not too much, you don't want it to run. Make sure you work with one area at time though, you don't want it setting on you.

I can't help you with the fondant part because I have never worked with fondant, other than the Wilton practice cake for class and a fondant bow that I made one time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%