Favorite Specialty Decorating Tips

Decorating By PamelaMichele Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm by janebrophy

PamelaMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamelaMichele Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone. I'm very new to cake art/decorating and this site, but I must say I'm addicted already. icon_lol.gif

I'm starting to build up my collection of decorating tips and was wondering if there are any great ones besides the norm (ones I'm using for my Wilton classes) that I should not be without. Also, if you have any skills/tips you would be willing to share about how to use different tips besides the normal way I would greatly appreciate. I'm trying to think outside the box a little bit on this one.

I tried to search for previous threads, but I came up empty every time. So if there is one, direction to it would be great. Thanks!

13 replies
Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:42am
post #2 of 14

I too am starting back into cake decorating as a hobby now that I've recently retired from nursing. I've gotten a little carried away with buying supplies, especially the tips. After making a Princess Carriage cake last weekend for my granddaughter's birthday, and having to fill it in with so many stars, I think a must-have tip would be the multi-star tip where 3 stars can be placed all at one time. Sure would be a time saver!
Good luck with your cake decorating.....I share your passion!

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:10am
post #3 of 14

This should help. It shows all the tips, the effects they make, and their price. Go to this link...
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?id=3E304FE9-475A-BAC0-542C86E6718519F9&fid=3E305C8B-475A-BAC0-54E61BA4686884CF

PamelaMichele Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the link!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 14

Erm... well I bought the triple star tip 10+ years ago, and have NEVER used it. But then again, my cake style doesn't include much "wilton style" star fill-in. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and I'm sure that lost of CC'ers couldn't live without their triple star, lol! icon_lol.gif But personally, it was a waste of money for me. Keep that in mind with regards for what I have to say. Everyone makes different cakes, so everyone uses different tips. Oh, and I'm just going to list from scratch, because I'm not sure what tips they use in the wilton classes.

The specialty tips I use most are the "grass" tip, the "double sided" basket weave tip, and extra large star and round tips (for cupcakes, filling in LARGE areas, and fluffy whipped cream borders).
I know numbers vary a little from brand to brand, but for wilton, I think they are (aprox.) #233, #46, #1M, #1A.

Those are the tips I would buy first, assuming you already have a decent variety of round, open star, petal, and leaf tips. By "decent variety" I mean at least 2 of each. Try and get a pretty big size variance. No need to have a #17 AND #18, just choose one, and then get a #21 or #22, and a #14 or #15. If that's too much to invest all at once, start with a size in the middle, or a size you see mentioned a lot (e.g. #103, #18,). I would be lost without at least five different sizes of round tips, but to start, you really need and #3, and a #8/9/10. For leaf tips, start with #352. It make pretty leaves without a split point. Other "classic" leaf tips (e.g. #6icon_cool.gif make nice borders, but lousy leaves (IMHO). icon_rolleyes.gif

Then start experimenting with your tips! Take each one, and do EVERY technique you can imagine with it! Shells, dots, swirls, rosettes, writing, reverse shells, zig-zags, ruffles, etc. Then, if it's NOT a symmetrical tip, turn it a quarter turn in your hand and do everything again. You'll be amazed and all the things you can do with one tip! icon_biggrin.gif

My personal (long list) must have tips: #1 #2, #3, #4, #6, #8, #10, #12, #1A, #16, #18, #21, #1M, #45, #46, #48, #69, #80, #102, #104, #199. #233, #352. icon_cool.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:57am
post #6 of 14

For sure tip 352. I just got 349 and 350. I couldn't make leaves if my life depended on it with the usual ones, but I get perfect leaves everytime now!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #7 of 14

I use only 10 basic decorating tips. I prefer to use the right twist of the wrist to get the effect you are looking for, rather than a different tip for each thing. I do have about 5 of each of those tips though.
A little over a year ago we started a thread where we would each do a cake of the month and use only one tip. We decided at the beginning of the month which tip we would all use. It was fun figuring out how to make that tip do what you wanted it to do.

This is a cake I did using only a tip #5.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1155746

PamelaMichele Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 14

BCJean that's amazing that you made that whole cake with one tip. Thank you for all the great suggestions. I definitely have a place to start from now icon_biggrin.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 14

I prefer the grass tip 234. It is larger than the wilton standard tip 233.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 14

Add #2D to the list. I use it for my cupcakes to make them look similar to roses on the top. (see photos)

#1M for cupcake swirls (already mentioned)

#352 for leaves

#233 for grass because I prefer smaller blades of grass.

#789 I use sometimes, but not all the time.

OT, but I do wish someone would bring back the tip of the month cakes. I would be willing to participate, but I don't want to head it up. icon_wink.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 14

Tip of the month cakes would be so much fun!! Let's start it up again!!! icon_smile.gif

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #12 of 14

What is tip of the month cake?

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #13 of 14

I'd totally love doing tip of the month cakes! Someone start it up and let me know!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm
post #14 of 14

BCJean, do you want to start it up again? I have no idea how to! LOL! Do you just start a new post?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%