Frozen Cake With Or Without Buttercream

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 2:12am by luv2cook721

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 22

I have a cake due next Saturday, and will be out of town all of next week. So, I was thinking about baking my cakes tonight and freezing until next Friday.

I was thinking that I might go ahead and put buttercream on it tomorrow night before I freeze. Will this be a problem?

Should I:

A) Bake the cakes, seran wrap, freeze it and then ice next week
B) Bake the cakes, ice it, freeze it, and decorate next week?

21 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:15am
post #2 of 22

hello? Anyone?!?

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 22

I have never froze my cakes with buttercream for that long, but here's a bump. Hope you find an answer. Good luck.

BlondiezBakery Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 22

Thanks!

Is it ok for me to freeze un-iced cakes that long?

Wednesday - Friday (week and a half)?

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 22

I freeze my cakes up to 2 weeks, sometimes a little more. I just wrap it really well. Always turn out so moist! In fact I always freeze my cakes. Super, super moist.

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 22

Sorry, meant to add that I have never tried it with icing on them. Only without. Maybe someone else can help you with that part.

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:25am
post #7 of 22

I usually do not freeze my cakes, however I had to recently. Cake order for birthday party.....big snow storm forced cancelation of party......2 weeks later took it out. Thawed it.....iced it....decorated it. The clients raved about how moist it was.
Bake...........cool...........wrap well in plastic wrap...........freeze. I would give overnite to thaw before icing.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #8 of 22

I read from another CC member to thaw in fridge still wrapped in saran wrap. Moisture is locked. I have had good luck with this. I've gone up to 1 week. I would think 1.5 weeks is fine. Good luck with it. thumbs_up.gif

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:01am
post #9 of 22

I always frost straight out of the freezer. It's easier to frost, and they stay super moist!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 22

I freeze my cakes at times but I do not ice them. I wait until they come out of the freezer get to room temp then ice them.

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 22

I freeze un-iced cakes all the time double wrapped in plastic wrap and they turn out great. I tried to freeze an iced cake one time and that didn't turn out so well because as it thawed the icing got "sweaty" and some of it pulled away from the cake. It was a while ago so I don't remember all the details, but I do remember I decided not to do it that way again.

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 22

I would not ice right from the freezer. I have seen icing pull away & fall off the sides of a cake that has been iced frozen.

BlondiezBakery Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 22

Thanks for the help!!

luv2cook721 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 22

gr8_seamstress is right, I forgot to mention that I always pull the cake out a few hours before I need to ice it to let it thaw out. Cake thaws pretty quickly though so it usually isn't a problem.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 22

I crumb coat and then wrap in saran wrap and freeze. My instructor does it that way and that's how they do it in the bakery where I took classes. I think you can freeze the actual cake too though. That should be fine. I wouldn't completely ice the cake and freeze though. Good luck!

BlondiezBakery Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #16 of 22

I like the idea of a crumb coat and freezing. I might give that a try one time. Tonight, I think I am going to stick with normal ole' baking and freezing. Then, when I get back next Friday...she how it held up.

Thanks!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 22

Ok, I do have a question here: Everyone gripes that Walmart and stores freeze there cakes. Something called FLASH FREEZING?...and then ship to the store, and so on.

I know they freeze there's for as long as 2mos. But my question is this, if we freeze them, how do ours stay so moist? I havent frozen one yet, Im afraid to lose the moist that my customers rave about.

NEXT QUESTION:
Bake the cake, let it cool room temp...wrap it in Saran wrap? is that nothing else? to keep the freeze out? Just think Saran Wrap?...do you remove it when its frozen or after its dethawed? Doesnt it crumble is its after?

thanks

BlondiezBakery Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #18 of 22

yeah, it is a weird thought, i know. I don't know what it is about our freezing, but it really does keep in the moisture. in fact, there are times that i feel like my cakes come out more moist from the freezer, than if i had let them cool at room temp.

wrap it up tight several times before going into the freezer. Then, when you take it out leave the seran wrap on so it doesn't dry out. I put mine on a cooling rack (ironic i know), that way warm air is getting all around it, and the base is not staying frozen while the top dethaws.

And...no the cake doesn't crumble. If you want a practice run, make a little baby cake next time you bake and try that one out frozen. I was pretty scared the first time that I did it, but have no issues now. If anything I don't always like just how moist they come out sometimes. icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks so much, Im going to have to try that. Im always in a tight crunch reason being is. I tell everyone that they wont get a dry cake like the stores sell. I bake them fresh for there event.

So Im making them a day before the event, thus pressed for time. I really thought putting them in the freezer would dry them out. Maybe it has something to do with: the stores Freeze them what they call FLASH FREEZING, and then there frozen for as long as 2mos??? could that be it? and ours are just for a bit. hmmm gonna have to research that one.

As freezing them for 2-4days would help here.
Thanks bunches to my CC FAMILY.
I ACTUALLY GOT TO MEET 2 DAYS AGO, SOMEONE FROM HERE IN CC!!! SHE JUST MOVED HERE AND SENT ME AN EMAIL WHEN SHE SAW A POST, WE LIVE 15MINS FROM EACH OTHER, AND ITS BEEN GREAT SO FAR. Of course we cant stop talking cakes, cc, decorating, we are planning a CAKE FIEST...get together and do techinques and learn from each other.

luv2cook721 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 22

I freeze cakes all the time double wrapped in saran wrap and they are every bit as moist and delicious as any that haven't been frozen. I never freeze over a couple of weeks though. I also use a deep freeze so the temp is consistant. I loosen the saran while thawing, but don't remove it. I have also frozen left over icing and it comes out great as long as it is not left in too long (over 3 months).

The chain stores cakes may be dry due to reasons that have nothing to do with being frozen, it may be the recipe.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #21 of 22

I've froze cakes for a month with no problem & still taste great. I don't however stack them on top of each other until they are totally frozen, don't want to squish them.

luv2cook721 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #22 of 22

You need to be careful of any thing pushing into the sides as well. I pulled a cake out yesterday and realized there was a dent in it from something pressing on the side before it was fully frozen. I was able to cover it with icing so it was ok, but I didn't even notice that anything was touching the cake in the freezer. Gotta watch for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%