Where Can I Find A Great Cake Decorating Class??

Decorating By danigirl18 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm by danigirl18

danigirl18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danigirl18 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!! I'm totally new to this site. I really need to find a great cake decorating course near the Dallas/Ft.Worth Tx area. Preferably one that has classes on the weekends. I'm off from my job on Fri, Sat, and Sun. Or just someone who would get together with me for some help and guidance. I made my wedding cake and grooms cake with great reviews, but want to learn some more intricate decorating...and I have no clue how to use fondant. I do not want to go to a Wilton cake class. I tried that and didn't like it at all. Please let me know if you have any ideas for me. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 8

fnd cake decorating shops that offer classes. I have several in my area that do non-WMI

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #3 of 8

Not sure why you didn't like the Wilton classes, maybe it was the instructor?

danigirl18 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 8

I have already tried looking at the stores close to here. My problem is that all of them have them during the week and no weekend classes. I was hoping someone knew of a specific place that I haven't tried or someone I could come hang with that lives close to learn.

I didn't like the Wilton classes because with working a full time job and then heading straight to the class, it was way too much homework. Making SEVERAL batches of the buttercream in different colors to take. Like way too many. And I didn't even like the taste of the recipe she gave. I went to one class and thought it was pretty ridiculous.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 8

not sure how close to you but try www.cakecraftshoppe.com in Sugarland

and Cake Carousel has classes in/near dallas

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:32am
post #6 of 8

The recipe you use for the Wilton cake class is not great I admit. The reason you are asked to use that one is because you can work with it for a long time before it gets too warm and runny. New decorators are handling the decorating bag a lot more than when you are experienced so the icing needs to stand up to that treatment. Once you are a bit faster at it then use your own favorite recipe.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #7 of 8

When I took the Wilton course the first time (did a refresher course the second time), I made all my features, except the fondant clown cake, in white icing.

My theory - It's the technique that I need to learn, not how to pipe the technique with colored icing. The instructor understood my theory, and told me that if that's what I was comfortable with, then she has no problem with it, either.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

danigirl18 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 8

That's a great idea!! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%