Okay, So Is *this* Legal? Re: Dora

Business By yelle66 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 2:38am by celestecakes78

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 6

Alright, so I have a lady who wants a Dora cake. Is it legal if I order this:

http://www.aquariumsdirect.com/aquarium-decorations/figurines/doratheexplorermermaidornament.cfm?source=gbase&gbid=Dora_the_Explorer_Mermaid_Ornament

Obviously, I would have something separating it from the cake so it wasn't touching any icing, but I'm just confused about what is and isn't legal for copyrighted characters. Can you get just any or do you have to actually get the ones from the party stores (which don't fit what I want and I actually hate).

Thanks so much!

Danielle

5 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 6

If the customer is purchasing the topper and brings it to you that's ok, Also if you purchase a kit from Decopac or Bakery Crafts that's ok. Could be a very grey area you purchasing an item that isn't licensed to go on a cake and reselling that item as part of the cake.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 6

I would have the customer purchase it and then you put it on the cake.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 6

It's totally legal. The manufacturer has already paid for the rights to reproduce Dora. You can do whatever you want with it, because when you buy it, you're also buying the rights to use it however you want icon_smile.gif Just dont alter it in any way.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #5 of 6

I don't see how it could be illegal...you are purchasing the item not making it. I think the copyright thing comes in when you copy pictures etc and make edible images and things like that not actually purchasing an item and setting it on a cake.

celestecakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celestecakes78 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 6

I was under the impression that you can't "make" your own dora with fondant, RI, or even an edible image because these are not things that they can make money on you do.I can't imagine a company making products with characters on them if they didn't have permission to do so by the owners of that character so you should be fine getting that dora mermaid.I get customers to buy their own decos, that way they get what they want and its less stress on you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%