Styrofoam Cake Board

Decorating By cheeseball Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm by cheeseball

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 5

Would half inch or thicker styrofoam (the cake dummy kind, not the craft kind) be strong enough to use as a base? 6, 8, 10 & 12 inch cake that will be moved after assembly. I can have any size or shape made to order for less than the cost of cardboard cake boards (a dollar US for a 16 inch round/half inch thick board; none of my 4 inch high dummies cost more than $4...I know, crazy, right? and Doritos cost more than five bucks here icon_lol.gif)

4 replies
alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 5

I would think you would be fine. People use foam core all the time and I tend to think the cake dummies might be even sturdier. Where are you? I'm in Canada and I'd love to find a good, cheap, foam supplier!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't go less than an inch and make sure I carried it with my hand underneath. I use an inch styro, cover it with foil or parchment and again with a cellophane sheet in a color complimentary to the cake. I then use my glue gun, the one that is cooler than the very hot temperature one, and glue a 1" ribbon all around the side. The ribbon covers the creases in the foil and cellophane and adds a very finished look to the styro.

cheeseball Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys - one inch it is icon_wink.gif Alana, I'm currently in Belize, I don't know if they ship, but I'll be happy to ask...although by the time you pay for shipping and duty here and in Canada, it may not still be a bargain icon_lol.gif

cheeseball Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys - one inch it is icon_wink.gif Alana, I'm currently in Belize, I don't know if they ship, but I'll be happy to ask...although by the time you pay for shipping and duty here and in Canada, it may not still be a bargain icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%