Dome Type Cake

Decorating By crazygravy Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm by crazygravy

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 6

...i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a way to make a dome shaped cake. I'm trying to make a SpongeBob cake with the "dome" being Sponge Bob's house...the pineapple. Also, any guide as to make spongebob out of fondant? Just a side note that I've only made fondant once in my entire life...and it was pretty good and also FUN!

Thanks in advance

5 replies
GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 6

hmmmm - Im trying to remember what the pineapple looks like! Can you just bake one in a bowl for the top .. then bakes as many rounds as you need to get whatever height you need - putting the dome on top?? Then maybe you can carve down the sides to whatever shape you need ... HTH! Happy Baking! Gaye

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

I am making the same cake in 2 weeks. icon_biggrin.gif

I have a Betty Crocker Bake and Fill pan. I'm using the small insert to make the top dome with. If you don't have one of these, you could use a sports ball pan or a mini sports ball if you don't want it too big.

Cinderina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderina Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 6

You could use the Wilton Wonder Mold pan or a bowl like Pampered Chefs batter bowl. I just did a mushroom cake that was a combination of the Wonder Mold pan and a single layer 8" cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1326043

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

What about using the wilton egg pan? If you stand it up on end it will be pineapple shaped and you can top it with the green leaves.

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

These are great ideas. I have the wondermold pan. I will try that.

Thanks so much for the responses. I will try and post a picture for everyone to see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%