Experts...can I Freeze Hi-Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm by mkolmar

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:32am
post #1 of 9

I have a 50lb. container of hi-ratio shortening and am afraid that it will go bad before I can use it all. Would I be able to freeze some? icon_confused.gif

8 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 9

I keep mine in the fridge and it lasts a long time.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 9

i was told by a c/c er that she buys it in the 50lb. box.. she puts so much in tupperware containers and freezes them..

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #4 of 9

Thanks ladies. icon_smile.gif
Although, I wouldn't mind more o.k.'s I'm still a little afraid. icon_rolleyes.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 9

If you use a scale, measure it out by the cup (or two, or however many you think you would defrost at one given time), double wrap each blob tightly in plastic wrap, and then place as many blobs as can fit into a gallon zipper bag. Repeat until you've packed it all up, and freeze that stuff!

Funny story, I bought some Sweetex from my cake supply store, just a 1lb container but I rarely use it. So I did the above and used it up about 5 months later. It was perfect. Returned to the store the weekend I was making the cake, because I actually needed more. Batch #2 with the FRESH hi-ratio was awful, I guess the fresh stuff had spoiled at the cake supply store!! icon_confused.gif So, just test it before you freeze it, to make sure you are freezing product that hasn't gone bad somehow. My case was probably a fluke; the lady said nobody has ever returned the stuff. I was like: here, YOU eat it then!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:00am
post #6 of 9

I was just wondering if any of you know what the shelf life is of high ratio. I have some in the pantry but never got around to using it. Does it smell bad when it goes bad?

TIA

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:16am
post #7 of 9

It may smell a little off; fresh shortening (whether hi-ratio or not) is pretty much odorless...or I suppose it has that mild "shortening" smell. I didn't detect an odor in the weird stuff I mentioned above, and of course the lady at the cake shop (who thought I was trying to scam her on their "no refunds" policy) didn't smell anything either. If you don't detect a smell but are still unsure, just make a tiny amount of icing with it. If there is anything wrong with it, trust me, you will know immediately by taste.

I don't know the actual shelf-life. My Crisco usually is stamped w/a shelf life of approx 8 months. I once discarded some HR shortening from my pantry that was...6 months old? (And yes, it did smell "off". But it doesn't smell HORRIBLE...just a little, well..."off"!!) But since shops order it in bulk and scoop it out for resale, it was impossible to know how long it had been sitting around on THEIR shelf. Unlike Crisco which is vacuum sealed until you open it.

Note that the one in my pantry that went bad, was sold on the shelf at a restaurant supply store. I.e. unrefrigerated. The cake shop that sells it near me actually keeps their HR refrigerated.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the info ceshell. I have to make some icing tomorrow so I'll try a small batch with the hi-ratio stuff and get my DH to taste test icon_lol.gif and go from there. icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 9

I portioned mine out and put it into clean 5 gallon plastic ice cream buckets. I took black marker and put the date I bought it on and the date I put it in the freezer.
I haven't had to pull one out of the freezer yet, but probably will sometime next month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%