Can Smbc Be Frozen?

Baking By Delie Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 1:31am by antonia74

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 5

My carton of egg whites is about to expire and want to do something with them. But I don't want to freeze SMBC and then have it be a failure. TIA!

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 5

It freezes perfectly well. To re-use it, you just have to pull it out of the freezer and put it on the counter for at least a few hours/overnight (depending on how large of a container you have!) to allow it to come back up to semi-soft room temp....then you re-beat it in your mixer for a few minutes to get it back to the soft whipped consistency.

But, you know you can just freeze the egg whites, right? icon_confused.gif They freeze and thaw well too! thumbs_up.gif

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 5

antonia74, thanks for the help. Now I'll make that SMBC, or then again maybe I won't. icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

But, you know you can just freeze the egg whites, right? icon_confused.gif They freeze and thaw well too! thumbs_up.gif

icon_eek.gif I didn't know - that little bit o'info is really going to come in handy. Thank you do much - you've been a big help. thumbs_up.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 5

I didn't know you could freeze the whites! I thought it was the yolks? What cool information! Thank you!

By the by, how long can the SMBC be in the freezer for?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

I didn't know you could freeze the whites! I thought it was the yolks? What cool information! Thank you!

By the by, how long can the SMBC be in the freezer for?

Whites freeze really well....but yolks are actually trickier to freeze. Depending on what recipe you are attempting to make with them, they may need a touch of glucose added to them upon thawing to reinstate them to their former consistency.

SMBC/IMBC can be frozen for months...up to 5-6 I'd suggest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%