Design Rights Question

Business By huckitvt Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 1:08am by cakesdivine

huckitvt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huckitvt Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 3

I have a bride who has asked me to design a cake for her for her 2011 wedding. It seems a bit far away to be booking a cake but I'm afraid if I sketch some designs for her she might turn around and find another baker. Is there any way I can protect myself from this or does anyone have any advice on how to handle an ansy bride who wants to book something so far in advance?

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 3

I'd tell her that I can't book anything that far in advance, and to call back closer to the date. How do you know what your pricing will be then? that's too far ahead to guess what will happen to prices.

If you do any sketches, don't give them to her to take. Tell her that she'll get a copy if she books with you, but that you keep any drawings until clients book with you.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 3

It happens even if the wedding is only weeks away. I no longer allow them to have a copy, I just draw it show it to them in person and tell them once they book they can have a copy. My booking fee is $300 and credited towards the cost of the cake and the fee is non-refundable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%