Flower Paste

Decorating By LaTasha Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm by tonedna

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hello CC Family

What is the difference between GumPaste & Cold Porcelain
and which one is better to use to make flowers?

Thanks

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 8

Gumpaste is made out of sugar..cold porcelain is non edible, is made out of glue. Gumpaste is more delicate, cold porcelain is stronger.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 8

I'm bumping, but I'm still going to tell you what I THINK is the right answer. icon_rolleyes.gif I think that Cold Porcelain dries harder (maybe faster) than gumpaste and is used to make placques, etc. I have never noticed flowers made out of cold porcelain - only gumpaste.

That said, when I Google CP, it says that is used to make beautiful flowers. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

cold porcelain is stronger.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

At least I got one part right. I certainly didn't know that it was made out of glue. tonedna, is gumpaste easier to work with for flowers? I would think that it might be.

valerieb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieb52 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 8

Hi LaTasha, I have never used cold porcelain primarily because the recipes I have seen use glue(like elmer's) and it is stressed that the cp creations are never to touch any food item. Gum paste is made with totally edible ingredients.They both make absolutely beautiful flowers,etc...check out Alan Dunn CP books. They look as real as the life like gum paste creations. I guess the cp is used for centerpieces and table decorations and the like and gum paste for edible surfaces like cakes, cookies and cupcakes. So which is better would depend on where you want your flowers to be placed.

tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 8

Is almost the same feel..just that the cold porcelain is stronger after it dries but is non edible..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 8

Okay last question I see alot of these recipes that have egg whites in them how safe is that to use due to a flower being made and using 4-6months later putting it on a cake and then someone trying to eat
the flower is that safe?

tonedna Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 8

Is pretty safe. it dries hard and honestly, I dont think people like to eat them.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%