Fondant And Cakes

Decorating By colagal Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 3:29am by ginger6361

colagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colagal Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to the whole fondant thing. Dumb question but do you ice the top layer before covering with fondant. I am going to attempt a texas hold em table for 100-200 people at a benefit give by us. and how does the fondant taste. Any suggestions on having a good tasting fondant?

4 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

Hi!

First welcome to Cake Central!

There are many ways to do fondant. I cover my cakes in a normal layer of buttercream and a thin layer of fondant. Yes, you do cover the top of the cake with icing. I always use chocolate fondant, it performs much better in my opinion, than regular fondant. And, it tastes much better! If you want any more info, I'm happy to try and help. Feel free to e-mail me, I would try to avoid Wilton, it's disgusting in my opinion.

If I can help more, please let me know.

Sweet regards,
Jennifer icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, colagal. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked and layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has popular CC recipes for: doctored cake mix, American buttercreams using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening and fondant recipes.

Also has decorating help for both buttercream and fondant and so much more.

HTH

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 5

I use marshmallow fondant and everyone seems to like the taste. I hate using chocolate fondant, it seems to stretch way to much, but it does taste good, like tootsie rolls. I would suggest you make a couple practice cakes first. Nothing big, just a small cake anyway, to get used to using the fondant. Have fun and good luck on the cake.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5

Can someone tell me the differnce between MMF and reg fondant? Can you mold figures out of it the same? I'm new to fondant too. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%