I Need Ideas For A Small Butterfly Themed Cake

Decorating By abra526 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 1:48am by abra526

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 5

A friend wants to surprise her mom with a cake for her birthday. There will only be about 5 or 6 people at the party. Her mom's favorite color is blue, and she loves butterflies. I was thinking of doing a 6" round, with blue buttercream, and putting some chocolate butterflies flat against the side all around the cake. I am calling on all of your wealth of ideas to see if you smart cakers can come up with anything else!

4 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 5

I think that sounds good. another thing you could do is add some butterflies to the top with wire so it looks like they're flying around. I haven't done the wire thing before but I seen it on other cakes and it looks really cool.hth. I do have a couple of butterfly cakes in my photo but they're nothing great.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 5

I've had a last minute order for butterflies so have gone to our local craft store and bought the wired ones in the floral section. I left the wires on and 'flew' them around the cake. Worked well and all were happy.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

If you're making chocolate butterflies, I think you should add a few flowers too to add color.

If you went with a small sheetcake, 9x12, you could draw butterflies drawn on it using pretty colors.

Here is a cake I did with butterflies on it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=197413

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 5

Thank you guys for all the ideas!
I was planning on using dark chocolate to outline the butterflies, and then fill in their wings with colored white chocolate. I did something similar with my last cake over the weekend, I just needed ideas for something on a much smaller scale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%