Cakes On A Plane. Lol (Cake Balls That Is)

Decorating By Michele01 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 11:25am by Michele01

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone, I had a quick question and wanted to see if anyone could help me out with this. I am flying to visit my family on Thursday, and my mom wants me to bring her some cake balls. Does anyone know if I would be able to carry them on the plane, or put them in my luggage and have it checked? I just don't want any trouble if I bring them, otherwise I just won't make them. Thanks

6 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 7

DH works for TSA - no reason you can't take them onthe plane as long as they fit into your carry-on!

gourmetjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetjulie Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 7

I don't know if you can carry them on or not, but you can definitely check them. Make sure they're good & frozen when you put them in your bag in a tight ziploc. They travel VERY well.

Hope your mom enjoys them!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 7

I've taken both my Hat Box cake and my huge Alligator cake (see my pics) right on the plane with me. The Hat Box cake had wires going into it!!! I call before to make sure they would let me take it. They said no problem, and it was no problem. I had to shove both thru the Xray machine.

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

I would call and check with your airline. My cousin got married last November and I offered to do the cutting cake (they were having an ice cream bar-no cake). It was just an 8" but I was told that the cake would be OK but the icing was considered a gel substance, which has a small allowable amount. I would have had to pack all of my equipment and hope my icing didn't explode in my suitcase!

Cakeballs may be OK because they might consider them more like cookies or such.
Hope that helps.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 7

Definitely call the airline, or check online for your airport's security rules! Not all airports are the same when it comes to what they allow through security.

I know at Sky Harbor here in Phoenix they are really strict about any kind of food or other kinds of products going through. I was once forced to throw away a bag of homemade cookies I had in my carry on for my family and the tea I had just bought at the Starbucks right next to the security line. Another time they made me throw away my hand lotion because it was 1oz too big. It was travel size, but not small enough! >_<

I would reccomend putting the cake balls into a sturdy tin or box and packing them into your checked luggage. If it's in checked luggage it's fine and there's no restrictions.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:25am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. I think I will check them in my luggage. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%