Corn Syrup Free Fondant Recipe?

Decorating By 2girliesmama Updated 8 Aug 2014 , 12:15am by bubs1stbirthday

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 26

Does anyone know a good corn syrup free recipe? I have a client for an april monkey theme an I'd love to do fondant on this cake, but her daughter has problems with corn syrup. Any ideas? If not fondant buttercream. Help PLEASE icon_cry.gif

25 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 26

Hi, if you can find Lindy Smith's " Celebrate with a cake" book, there is a good recipe. If you don't have that, send me a PM. I'll send it to you.

icon_smile.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 26

FYI-please check to see why she has a problem with corn syrup. My friend has a reaction to corn syrup and other corn products, and corn starch is in powdered sugar as well, so there isn't any type of fondant she can eat.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 26

I was just wondering whether she can have Marshmellow Fondant? If so, here is the recipe from recipe index,

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 26

No problems with corn products just corn Syrup. icon_smile.gif I was thinking MMF, but read the marshmallow label and they contain corn syrup too....Darn lol.Thanks Bashini for the recipe! I'm going to give it a try for sure.

boiddude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boiddude Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:11am
post #6 of 26

Can you also give me the recipe. I am allergic to Corn and can make powdered sugar without corn starch. I just can't find a corn free version for my daughters cake. 

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:35am
post #7 of 26

AI wonder whether you could substitute something like Lyle's Golden Syrup in place of the corn syrup. I'm curious if anyone has tried that.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:48am
post #8 of 26

No issue with corn, just corn syrup? I sincerely hope they aren't putting you through all of this because they're worried about the high fructose issue for one slice of cake. Can she peel it off? That's what tons of people do anyway.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 12:51am
post #9 of 26

I almost forgot,  the biggest ingredient in  Kraft marshmallows is corn syrup

DMFOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMFOhio Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 2:10am
post #10 of 26

My son is allergic to corn so I have searched the web for a good corn-free fondant recipe.  The closest I have found is the "Basic Fondant" recipe and you substitute honey for the corn syrup.  I haven't tried these yet, but you can also substitute light treacle syrup or sugar/water.  I only have the sugar/water equivalency for one cup of corn syrup and the recipe only calls for 2 tbsp:  1¼ cup white sugar plus 1/3 cup water=1 cup of corn syrup. "Basic Fondant" recipe: http://candy.about.com/od/fondantcandyrecipes/r/basic_fondant.htm.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 26

I would find out if it's something she can peel off or if it's a severe allergy or what. I'd be interested to know what the problem is if it's not all corn products. I have never heard of that. Good luck!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 26

Try this one with glucose instead of corn syrup.

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/rolled-fondant.html

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 26

try honey with a little water added to make it a corn-syrup consistency.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 26

By now, it's probably a moot point: look at the dates.

I will, however, note that common corn syrup from the grocer (which is mostly glucose and maltose), and high fructose corn syrup, are somewhat different substances, produced by somewhat different processes.

In many ways, HFCS is almost a synthetic analog to honey (part of the process by which bees convert nectar to honey is to split the sucrose molecules in the nectar into glucose and fructose). Golden syrup appears to be a more precise synthetic analog of honey.

Maple syrup (the real stuff, not the %$#%$#^% ersatz) is primarily sucrose, some of which is split into glucose and fructose in the boiling process.

As I recall, according to the Good Eats episode on candy making, the purpose of corn syrup in candy recipes is to inhibit the formation of large sucrose crystals. I would suspect that, with some experimentation, honey and/or golden syrup could probably serve the same purpose, as could HFCS, but probably not maple syrup or molasses.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

By now, it's probably a moot point: look at the dates.

Oops! I didn't even notice it was that long ago. Sorry :-)

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 26

Nothing to be sorry about; even a question is moot, it still may bring out knowledge.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 8:25pm
post #17 of 26

AI have had luck using mmf and replacing all the corn syrup with glycerin

Norasmom Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 8:53pm
post #18 of 26

I wonder why such old posts are turning up?

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 9:31pm
post #19 of 26

Well, it seems to be a slow week for this board.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 10:27pm
post #20 of 26

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

I wonder why such old posts are turning up?

Because someone googled the same thing.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 2:03am
post #21 of 26

ACan i substitute honey for corn syrup then in making MMF to make it more pliable? Yes? Nay? ;)

Norasmom Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 3:05am
post #22 of 26

Ah, thanks AZCouture.  That's good that someone Googled!!

MMF contains corn syrup because the marshmallows contain it. 

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 3:10am
post #23 of 26

AWell, if nobody answers, "mattyeatscakes," please feel free to experiment, and report back. If I hadn't been willing to experiment, I wouldn't have developed my strawberry marble cake, or my Innsbruck dream bars.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 11:21am
post #24 of 26

A

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

Well, if nobody answers, "mattyeatscakes," please feel free to experiment, and report back. If I hadn't been willing to experiment, I wouldn't have developed my strawberry marble cake, or my Innsbruck dream bars.

Thanks james! I did try maple syrup and it made my fondant smell heavenly! It did make it a little more pliable too, my brown fondant was dry and crumbly.

Ohhhh your strawberry marble cake sounds delish!!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 5:37am
post #25 of 26

I decided to make fondant earlier to practice making flowers - turns out I had no glucose syrup but a whole jar of golden syrup so I thought, surely it will do the same thing and I used it instead. While the flower is drying I thought I would do a search and see if there was any info on using Golden Syrup instead of Glucose - I found this thread and will leave my results in case it can help someone :-)

I found I to be a little more sticky than the fondant is otherwise and of course it altered the colour a little but seems to work more or less the same as the glucose. The flower hasn't dried yet so I am not sure if the finished texture will be different. 

The colour is a pale ivory and I actually think quite lovely. In a pinch I would do the switch again.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 12:15am
post #26 of 26

Just popping back to say that the fondant has dried perfectly. I have popped a photo of the flower here beside a piece of white printer paper for colour reference - the dried fondant seems a tad bit darker than the fresh fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%