Buttercream Bulging... Is It Crisco????

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm by tonicake

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 5

I use the wilton BC recipe, never had much trouble. now all of a sudden i am getting bubbles and bulges. is it the crisco? could it be from freezing it? any suggestions on a better brand? I love my recipe but hate the inconsistencies.

4 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:02am
post #2 of 5

the new crisco has no trans fat in it and that has caused many problems for some. try to find a store brand that has trans fat in i. hi ratio works even better.

here is a thread with my recipe and tips ( i no longer sift)

HTH

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 5

I have used crisco for a long time. I did start having buldges in my cake but it was due to not letting them settle after i put the frosting between the layer's. So now I let them sit awhile before frosting. HTH

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 5

If you are getting blow outs it's because of the freezing and not the crisco. If you frost a cold cake straight from the freezer air and condensation gets trapped under the icing as the cake starts to warm up, which causes the bubbles and blow outs. It happens with non-shortening icings too, so don't worry about the crisco being the culprit.

After icing the cake, make some small pin pricks in the cake in easily concealed spots in order to have a place for the air to get through. Or, let your cakes thaw a little and settle some after coming out of the freezer before icing.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

I agree about the freezing.

For an incredible icing - definitely try Sharon's recipe - All my customers love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%