Baby Blocks Cake-- Need Some Info To Get Started, Please

Decorating By MemphisMom9801 Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm by MemphisMom9801

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake for a baby shower on Saturday. The hostess has requested that I make baby blocks with a smaller cake (if needed) for 30-40 people. I found these two cakes on here and have PM'd the persons who made these cakes with no response. Perhaps they are just busy and I totally understand that, but this cake is due on Saturday and I just have the first part of this week to prepare. I really have some questions and am hoping that someone will help me out here.

Cake 1... the 3 blocks with green borders and "JKK" initials:
~ How many cakes do you think I would need to make for these size cubes? She mentions they are 6" squares but I was wondering if they could be cut from a larger cake or if there is a 6" square pan that can be purchased. Do they look like they are just 2 layers with a filling in between? How many does this look like it would serve?

Cake 2... the 2 blocks/1 sheet with pink & blue borders:
~ Basically the same questions... What size are the blocks on top and the cake underneath? How many does this look like it will serve?

If anyone can help me out that would be great!! Thanks so much!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=44470 cakesbyallison

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=44470 sweetcreation

5 replies
Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

Ok, I'm gonna take a shot at it. I would think that if they were 6" cakes that it would be three layers high to make it as close to a true square, although the cakes you posted they only look like two. As for servings, I have no idea. You can definitely make these out of sheet cakes and there is a 6" square pan that you can buy. HTH. Sorry I couldn't be more help..
Edited..Maybe the cakes you linked to were 3" layers and not 2" layers. Just a thought..

ArtWork Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtWork Cakes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #3 of 6

I did a block cake a few months ago and I used 6" pans three layers to make them 6X6 they feed about 30 to 35. You can look at the cakes I did at this site. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1285361.html If you need to know anything maybe I can help. I am learning as I go and love this web site Love CC members.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks to both of you for your responses. icon_smile.gif ArtWorkCakes... are you saying that you ended up baking 9 cakes for the 3 blocks?? If so... wow! This may be more time consuming than I thought...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 6

I do the Baby blocks cakes as 4" cubes. Bake in an 8" square pan and cut into fourths. Cover with fondant. I won't do them in bc any more. And I charge $24 EACH.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 6

Leahs... how many would you have to make to serve 30-40 people? Are those single layer blocks you make?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%