Why Is My Ri Never Shiney?

Baking By iheartcookies Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 2:20am by newmansmom2004

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 13

I have made it a dozen times, and just tried Antonia's RI today and still it dries every matte, not shiney and pretty like everyone else's- what am I doing wrong?

12 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 13

what i know about royal icing is it is going to dry matt. maybe the shine comes from them not being completely dry when the pic is taken or the flash adds to the look of it being shiney.
maybe you can dust it with some pearl dust to help.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #3 of 13

what i know about royal icing is it is going to dry matt. maybe the shine comes from them not being completely dry when the pic is taken or the flash adds to the look of it being shiney.
maybe you can dust it with some pearl dust to help.

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 13

You need to try ColorFlow if you want shine. Wilton makes it. works the same way. Colorflow can also be used for decorating cookies and making icing plaques.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 13

I dream of the shiney cookie (but of course I do!) icon_wink.gif
But all of mine dry matt. My pics of shiney cookies is because they are still wet. The only one I have heard claim dry shiney is a tara's sugar cookie icing, but it looks like same ingredients as toba's, so I don't know.

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 13

oh good, I am glad it is supposed to be like that- I always thought I was doing something wrong! thanks!!

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 13

You can also add corn syrup to the royal after you have beaten to stiff peaks. I think 2 TBS for a batch... It will add a little shine but not as much as Glace' Icing..

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 13

I have heard of people adding glycerin to try to make their RI shiny, but you need to be careful as it slows down the drying time. I have not tried that idea. At least you know now why yours dried matte - alas, such is the nature of RI. As mentioned, luster dust can give you a shimmer. I brush mine on with vodka, but heard you can use lemon extract instead.

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 13

I add a bit of corn syrup to my icing and it makes it a bit shinier.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 13

Tracy, if I am painting like a boarder, I use lemon extract. I don't keep vodka on hand (probably a good thing icon_wink.gif ) I also simply brush luster dust and other sparkly dusts on dry and it gives them a shimmer. Works especially well with RBC. I always get streaks when I try it with extract.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #11 of 13

Thanks, Shiney! I hadn't thought to try it dry! Much appreciated!

Alagoas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alagoas Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #12 of 13

Tracy, your COOKIES are so shiney! Do you use plain ol' Antonia's icing? Do you take the photos when it hasn't dried yet?... icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

Add a little bit of glycerin (found in the Wilton section of your local craft/hobby store) to the royal icing. It'll give it a bit of shine. I do this all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%