Americolor Vs. Wilton

Decorating By allie73 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 5:50am by playingwithsugar

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 15

I have only used Wilton gel colors in my frosting and fondant, but I am sometimes shocked at how much I need to use in order to get the color I want.

Is Americolor any better? Or is there another brand that I don't know about?

In short, what will give me the most bang for my buck?

Thanks a bunch!

14 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 15

Americolor is 100% better, you'll never go back to wilton

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 15

There is no comparison, Americolor is 1000% better than wilton. I use the super red and super black and have had to use only minimal amounts of color to get them black and red. Buy a small bottle and try for yourself you will then want the big bottles....

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 15

I agree, americolor is stronger and it's a lot less messy to just squeeze color in! There's other good brands too, like spectrum, ck, lucks...all better than wilton.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #5 of 15

Americolor and chefmasters are best..But some colors from wilton are really good, so I wouldnt dismiss them completely..
Edna icon_smile.gif

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 15

I find that the Wilton leaves a bitter taste-even small amounts.

I love the Americolor; it's stronger and leaves no aftertaste.

Now I'm stuck with a whole container of assorted Wilton gels!! icon_surprised.gif I'm saving them for dried royal icing decorations that people really don't eat!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #7 of 15

Where do you buy the Americolor? Joann's, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby only sell Wilton. (at least in my area.)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #8 of 15

I use Wilton no-taste red in my red velvet cake. That's the ONLY Wilton color I use for anything. I use Americolor colors for everything else. I purchase Americolor at a local cake supply store (not one of the chain stores) and online. There are lots of great online places to purchase cake/cookie supplies. http://www.countrykitchensa.com is one of my favorite sites.

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #9 of 15

Thank you I finally have something else to try. I try to make red for cake and use wilton it had a horrible after taste.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #10 of 15

as a wilton instructor one of the first things we taught was that the red coloring is made from a bitter bean. Use no flavor red (still not great). I don't teach for Wilton anymore (didn't like pushing the products) and use Americolor now... will never go back icon_smile.gif

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 15

Wow! Americolor wins by a landslide. Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll be placing an order some day soon!

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 15

I bought my americolor from the vanilla bean food company. they have great box sets with 12 colours so I could get a little bit of lots of colors. As I empty one of the small bottles then I get the big one to replace it. They last for a long time, a little really does go quite a long way.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #13 of 15

I used Wilton when I first started decorating in 2006 then switched to Americolor and will never go back thumbs_up.gif
My cake supply store carries a whole whack of colors in the small bottles and they carry basic colors in the large bottles. I usually buy the large ones for $6 which are about 20 x the size of the little bottles that I have to pay $2.50 each thumbsdown.gif

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:24am
post #14 of 15

Man oh man! icon_lol.gif I will be switching!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #15 of 15

Sorry, but for me, there's no comparison between Americolor and Spectrum, either. Both are liquid gels, but when you compare the consistency of the gel itself, Spectrum is a lot runnier, and Americolor is still on the money for "less is more", meaning that it takes a lot less gel to get more color.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%