York Peppermint Patty Ganache - How?

Decorating By jlh Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm by Redlotusninjagrl

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

Got a request for a cake with York peppermint patty filling. Trying to figure out how to get the patties into a ganance that I can use for filling? It can't just be flavored with peppermint extract. I actually have to use the patties? I'm thinking of melting the patties with some chocolate (but reducing the amount of choc. and sugar in the ganace recipe). Wondered if anyone had any other ideas?

7 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 8

Dont' know but here is a bump.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 8

Do you HAVE to use patties or are you asking if you have to?

My suggestion would be to make a 3-layer cake like this:

top layer of cake
peppermint buttercream/mousse
middle layer of cake
chocolate ganache
bottom layer of cake

My only concern is what happens to the peppermint center of the York candy when you melt it...it might get grainy, it might not set back up, etc. Do a test run of a small amount of patty/chocolate

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 8

Just flavor your chocolate ganache filling with loran oil peppermint flavor, or regular peppermint extract. I like the oil flavor because it is more intense. I would not recommend melting peppermint patties into the ganache, for one thing it would be a waste of money when you can get the same flavor using extract.
If you are wanting chunks of peppermint patty candy in the plain chocolate ganache filling, just fold them in after your ganache has cooled and thickened.

cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds yummy, let us know how it turn out!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

Just flavor your chocolate ganache filling with loran oil peppermint flavor, or regular peppermint extract. I like the oil flavor because it is more intense. I would not recommend melting peppermint patties into the ganache, for one thing it would be a waste of money when you can get the same flavor using extract.
If you are wanting chunks of peppermint patty candy in the plain chocolate ganache filling, just fold them in after your ganache has cooled and thickened.

I think folding the patties into the ganache would work great. I have to do the same thing for a young man's wedding in Oct. Only he like the mints that my cousin and I make so I have to MAKE the peppermint patties too! LOL But, since I love him.....I guess I will.

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't tried with Peppermint Patties as they are not sold here but I have in the past chopped up peppermint chocolate bars (Aero's if you know them??) and mixed through chocolate buttercream (the kind made with butter rather than a shortening based decorating buttercream if you know what I mean.) to use as a filling. I would imagine you could do similar with a chocolate ganache - just stir through after it has cooled but before it sets.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 8

That sounds very yummy...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%