Tall Tier Stand

Decorating By QueLinda Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:48am by kansaslaura

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 8

My tall tier cake stand has yellowed a bit in some noticable areas, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the plastic white again. Would soaking in a bleach/water mixture help? Or just scrubbing with soft scrub?

7 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 8

I would try bleach but make sure the stand doesn't smell like bleach afterwards. Letting it sit in the air and sunshine outside will help if this happens. Yellowing is in the plastic so I don't think scrubbing would help. If the bleach doesn't work you can try the paint that is now made for plastic, it is advertised for lawn furniture. I used it on some pots and it worked very well, just air it so there isn't any paint smell.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

I used clorox clean up. Sprayed it good and let it set and then rinsed and rinsed. One spot wouldn't do so I used fresh lemon juice and then set the lemon on it over night. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 8

I've read a number of times that those things yellow from the inside out. I had some that yellowed and I gave them away to a little girl (10 years old) who was taking up cake decorating for 4H. Nothing I did worked.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 8

I heard lemon juice and sunlight is the best way to go... Can't say I've ever tried it though.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 8

Is is yellowing from being out all the time? If so you can buy Dawn Power Dissolver (a Dawn dishwashing liquid product) and spray the tiers, put them in the sink with no water for a little while and then wash and rinse and they should be white again. I keep 3 dawn products on my sink top at all times - regular dawn, dawn power dissolver and dawn direct foam. I also keep the Mr. Clean magic erasers on there as well. One of these should work. I can't live without them. I use them on everything. The erasers work great in the bathroom as well, and your appliances - make short work of everthing. I take advantage of Sams and buy them in big lots and then I always have it available.

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the advise. I will try all of the above if one or the others doesn't work out.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've read a number of times that those things yellow from the inside out. I had some that yellowed and I gave them away to a little girl (10 years old) who was taking up cake decorating for 4H. Nothing I did worked.

I fought yellow seperator plates and pillars for years. I have gone completly with clear and love them!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%