Now What????

Business By suz3 Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 3:08am by suz3

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 9

I have a place that will let me work out of to get my business started.I need to know, from those of you who use a leased kitchen, what I need to do now to get my business up and going. Please answer ASAP as I'm very excited to get this process started. I never thought this would happen and I'm so excited icon_biggrin.gif. All answers and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 9

How much of the basic legwork have you already done? It's kind of difficult to answer a demand for help ASAP when we have no earthly idea what you already know or how much of your homework you have done.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 9

Congrats!!

If you haven't already a good place to start is with your local HD or Dept of Agriculture to find out exactly what they require from you. You probably will have to take a food handling course and get certified, then check out insurance companies.

Good luck!

suz3 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 9

This was an unexpected occurance that I hoped would happen but really didn't expect it so I have a food handlers permit but that's about all. I will check with the Health Dept. this week. What else? Do I need a tax i.d.? What kind of ins? I need any help you can give me. TIA

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 9

First you need to write a business plan. Your local library will have books, there is software you can buy (cheap) and your local chamber of commerce likely teaches classes. There is also the SBA and SCORE for basic business info.

Really, it's your business and you have to research the info that applies to you and your locality.

Call your insurance agent to get info on business liability. And commercial insurance for your vehicle, if you deliver.

suz3 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 9

Do I need a business plan if I am not borrowing money? I have the start up that I will need.

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 9

Oh yes, definitely write a business plan even if you don't need to borrow money!! It will help to give you focus.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 9

Actually a business plan has *nothing* to do with the need for money. It is all about understanding your market, creating sustainable business practices, how to advertise and market, tc, etc.

Now if you do have to borrow money the bank will want to see a business pplan, but every business needs one.

suz3 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming. I will need all the help I can get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%