Table Cake - Any Advice?

Decorating By joanna3292 Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm by joanna3292

joanna3292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanna3292 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 4

Ive been asked to make a cake for someone who is going to an indian restaurant. The cake is to look like a table with tablecloth and curry, plates, knives and forks etc on the top. ive had a good look through the photos on this site and got loads of ideas but before I started I thought I would ask for any advice from those of you who have tried this before. I have already decided that wine glasses may be too tricky so I may look for these at a local shop that sells bits and pieces for dolls houses... Any hints/tips would be great - thanks

3 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 4

You are on the right track. when working in miniture don't get too detailed. You will only drive yourself crazy. I would either use all mini dishes or all fondant dishes. The look will be consistant that way, if you mix the two your fondant may look less "finished" as the plastic ones. Also remember that no one else looks at your cake as critically as you do so the dishes don't have to be store-bought perfect.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

i think its worth trying to wine glasses your self, it would make life easier (well, probably nto for you!) if everything is edible. or else you need to ensure they know exactly what to remove before serving. in which case it might be easier to find it all in a shop, you can then just say to remove all the items.
xx

joanna3292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanna3292 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice, good idea to use all plastic or all fondant. Im going to have a go at making all the dishes first and if it all gets a bit stressy then I'll be off to the dolls house shop! Off now to search for fondant wine glasses...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%