What Tip??

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 1:03am by jdelectables

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 5

What tip is used for the white bottom border that looks like a big ruffle that is sitting flat on the cake board - and how do you do it? I've seen this many times and love the look. Thanks!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 5

It's tip 104 icon_smile.gif

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

First pipe a row of shells with tip 18 or 21 all around the base of your cake, the size of tip depends on how much you want the ruffle to stand out. This is what keeps your ruffle standing away from your cake. Next using tip #127, squeeze out icing with even pressure. The wide end of the tip always touches the cake and the narrow end is down covering the shell. Use this sequence of movements, rotate up, rotate down, slide. Repeat motion for entire ruffle.
My students often make a common mistake so I am going to try and explain this motion. When you rotate up or down you do not slide the whole tip up and down, you rotate the narrow end out towards you and then back in to the cake again. Then you slide to the right(left if left handed) about a 1/2 inch, repeat ruffle motion. If you are not happy with the look of the top of your ruffle it looks very nice if you pipe a small shell border there.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the explanation ladies! icon_biggrin.gif

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 5

I'm talking about this one...the bottom ruffle laying flat on the board...

BTW, this is ashleyscakes on flickr. She has great cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%