Is This Normal For Indydebi's Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm by Rylan

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 6

I've been using Indydebi's buttercream recipe for a month or 2 now and love the taste of it. But one thing I'm puzzled by. It seems like once it's crusted and I go to smooth it, it feels a little "gritty" (for lack of a better word). I was previously using the pre-made Wilton's icing (I know, I know, I've learned! icon_biggrin.gif ) and it doesn't crust as well as Indydebi's so I'm wondering if that is just a trait of all crusting buttercreams. I use the 1 1/2 cups of crisco (I think I read that somewhere it was better to use more than the 1 1/3 c. in her recipe) and use 1/2 c milk. Is my ratio of crisco to liquid a little off? Should I up the milk to get it a little smoother? I do let it mix in my KA for 5-8 minutes so I think I'm doing that right. And I do store it and am wondering if that happens when I don't use it right away. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing wrong so any direction will be great!! Thanks in advance!!!

Angela

5 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 6

There are several threads recently here about "gritty" buttercream. It has to do with sugar - some sugar simply doesn't dissolve as easy as others. Try another brand or try mixing the buttercream longer - this may help or not.
I had to switch brands just before Christmas. No amount of mixing would dissolve those tiny sugar crystals.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 6

What brand of sugar are you using?

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 6

I had been using generic PS, but this time I used Dominos PS. The thing it doesn't seem to taste gritty, but if you run your hand across the top, it feels gritty. Does that make sense? Thanks for your replies.

Angela

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

It makes perfect sense. It's sad to say, but not all powdered sugars are equal (no pun intended). I found the same thing when I used Imperial brand 10x sugar. I figured it had to be the brand because everyone on here is raving about Debi's BC. I found mine to come out gritty as well even though I used hot HOT water and mixed for a little bit more than 7 min.

Hopefully Debi will see this thread and recommend her fav brand of 10x sugar.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

I'm actually making my buttercream right now for the first time. I've already done 2 batches. I used Indydebi's recipe. I probably did it wrong and it turnd gritty. it felt like there was sand. I just added more milk and mixed it in medium speed and it wasn't grainy. It felt smooth in the mouth but then it doesn't look smooth. I will definitely try to perfect this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%