Air Pockets In My Buttercream

Decorating By KPCakes Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 11:38pm by sugarshack

KPCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KPCakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 8

Not sure what I am doing as all of sudden I seem to be having this problem. Why am I getting air pockets in my butter cream frosting and what can I do to correct this. It's driving me crazy! (Not that we decorators aren't already) icon_eek.gif

7 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 8

Are you whipping it up more that usual? I'm not really sure, but here's a bump icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 8

Often air bubbles in the buttercream are caused by air getting into the icing. Make sure that your mixer paddle is fully covered in icing and mix at the lowest possible speed. I often make double batches of icing at the same time for this same reason. My single batch doesn't make enough icing to cover the paddle. HTH

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 8

What sweetcravings said.

Are you using a kitchen aid? Keep the KA on the lowest setting, or one notch up, if it is growling at you. Also, after you mix your icing, thump it a good one on the counter. Sometimes thumping it will take out the air pockets by burping. Let it rest a bit. If you can't wait, run a kitchen knife blade thru it and see if that won't remove the pockets.

HTH!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 8

........run a kitchen knife blade thru it.....

I find that using the b'cream as quickly as possible after stirring it on low keeps it from areaiting(yuck, how is that spelled??).
If it should get full of small bubbles, rather than using a knife use a wire whisk in a slow figure 8 motion to stir it up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KPCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KPCakes Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the tips everyone. I do usually have my mixer on the lowest setting. I will be the first to admit that maybe I am leaving it mix too long as I get side tracked. I just got a new tub of sweetex and wondered if anyone knew if anything had changed in it. Maybe we all can come up with a new type of frosting with holes in and make it the "new" rave...LOL icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 8

u have to have that bowl full side to side and above the paddle:

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%