Anyone Use Those Pink Hollow Dowels I See On Ace Of Cakes?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm by Shannon1129

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, I love my support system (logicpic), but it's fairly expensive unless I get the stuff returned each time, which is sort of a pain.

I watch Duff, and every week I think "What the heck ARE those pink hollow dowels they're using?" They just go *snip* with a pair of scissors!?? and tah-dah, they're done. Does anyone know what those are?

20 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 21

Hmmm..I've only ever seen the wooden dowels attached under the seperater plate...I wonder what it is!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 21

I think someone mentioned that they may be bubble tea straws. They are straws that are extra large to allow tapioca to go through it.

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 21

I think those are the Boba Tea Straws, a.k.a bubble tea straws. I hear a lot of CCer's say that they use them instead of the wooden dowel rods..

HTH

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 21

Yep, they are bubble tea straws. They are supoosedly more stable than woden dowels and certainly easier to cut. Duff probably uses them because most of his cakes are not standard sizes.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 21

Mine are in different colors, but their available at Asian specialty stores much cheaper than what they go for online!

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #7 of 21

You're kidding me. Straws??

I'd have a hard time being brave enough to even try that, even though I know people use them...

Dang.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #8 of 21

I use them all the time and I'll never go back to wooden dowels again. They're actually very stable. I still can't explain the physics of it even after DH explained it to me a gazillion times.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #9 of 21

yes, they are boba tea straws. They readily found online or in asian food markets.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #10 of 21

I do too

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #11 of 21

Alright. So I should give them a whirl?

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with them? My cakes are so stable with logicpic that I've never wanted to try anything else, but it's not cheap...

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #12 of 21

ok I found fairly big plastic straws in different colors but the package does not say bubble straws...............can I use these? And what is the benefit over wooden dowels? I always thought the wooden dowel system to be very sturdy?

Cakeonista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #13 of 21

Dis I read that the straws must be filled with tapioca?????????

KitchenKat Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #14 of 21

Should you try them?

Hmm.... my opinion is why fix somethin that aint broke. If you're happy with your current system then why change? On the other hand, if you WANT to change then I suggest trying the bubble tea straws on a practice cake because using it commercially.

It's the same principle as wooden dowels. Only these are loads easier to cut.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:01am
post #15 of 21

Boba tea straws a.k.a bubble tea straws as already mentioned.
Here is a link to where I ordered mine online, but if you can find them in a local asian market, do so, because as mentioned, it can be more expensive online.

www.bobateadirect.com

If you don't use these, I've seen the plastic hollow dowels in Michaels. I know Elisa Strauss (Confetti Cakes) uses these. You just have to cut/saw them down to size.
I think the benefit of hollow dowels, such as the straws, is that it balances the pull/shift of the cake better and is more sturdy. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...or explain better thumbs_up.gif )

KitchenKat Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

No! The straws are for bubble tea. Bubble tea is a tea based drink with big, chewy tapioca balls. The straws have a much bigger diameter than regular straws so that you can suck the tapioca balls through the straw. None of that has anything to do with using the straws in cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

No...the straws are not filled with tapioca. They are originally used for sucking up tapioca balls when you order tea/drinks that use them. This was a new drink trend a few years back, and the tapioca balls are called "boba". The balls are slightly bigger than a pea, brown in color. They are chewy, almost like a gummy bear or something...but chewier and not as tasty (they are sort of bland).

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #18 of 21

I'd like to try something *reliable* for heavy wedding cakes, because the between-the-cake support frames for logicpic (which are supersupersuper sturdy), are pretty expensive. I get them back a lot and they're reusable, but if there was a quick, easy, cheaper way to do it, I'd be willing to try it.

And, hey, you know...if it's good enough for Duff... icon_wink.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

They are chewy, almost like a gummy bear or something...but chewier and not as tasty (they are sort of bland).

I hate boba. I imagine it's relatively like eating cat testicles.

Cakeonista Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #20 of 21

Thank you casualkitchen for answering my question and thanks to everyone else. I will try these straws on a practice cake first. U never know I may love 'em.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #21 of 21

I've used McDonald's straws. I know! I heard about them from another decorator, so I gave it a whirl on a 3 tiered cake. Held like a dream. Grant it, I held my breath the entire time, but it worked. As I was taking the tiers apart to cut the cake, I was amazed at how stable it was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%