Anyone Know How To Color Dry Oatmeal?

Decorating By kutabby Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm by bisbqueenb

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 7

This actually isn't for a cake. It's for a kids party I'm having on St. Patrick's day. We're making leprechaun dust. I figured this was my best place to go for advice!
I've tried just putting the cheap grocery store coloring on it. It just speckles it. I thought about powder food coloring and tempera paint, but I don't want it getting on the kids' hands.
Any ideas are appreciated!
Tabby

6 replies
justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 7

I would definately go with powdered food coloring.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 7

are they gonna eat it?? if not why not spray paint it?

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 7

Maybe put it in a plastic (ziploc) type of bag and then add gel color to it? Maybe with a bit a water, so it sticks better and then lgive it a good shake until it is colored.....then le it dry on a cookie sheet.
I have never tried it, but I do that for coconut.

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 7

Doesn't Wilton make a food color spray for use on cupcakes and such?
Similar to airbrusing? I bet that would work , if they have green.

Or just color some water and put in a spray bottle then spray it that way. (not soaking it of course ) Let dry on the cookie sheet.

Carol

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I will try your suggestions icon_smile.gif
No, it will not be eaten. But, the kids that will be getting it will be under 5, so I have prepare it as if they will eat it- b/c you know at least one will try!
I'd rather not use the spray just b/c they will be sprinkling this on their lawn. The little card w/ it will say that if they sprinkle it on their lawn, the leprechauns will come to their house and wish them luck for the year icon_wink.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

I make "magic reindeer food" at Xmas with the oatmeal....I add the large crystal sanding sugars in red and green with the natural colored oatmeal...makes it 100% safe if the kids eat it!
For St. Pat's just the green would make it pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%