Freeze Iced Cake?

Decorating By cakecrazy09 Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm by cakecrazy09

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 5

I'm working on a cake for my niece B-day party on Sat. I baked filled and iced last night. I got a call that the party is postponed until next Sat because she is sick. Can I freeze the cake already iced or should I give it away and start again next week?

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can freeze the cake. Stick it in the freezer until it is frozen solid, then wrap in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Unwrap before defrosting. OR place in an airtight container and remove from container before defrosting.

cakecrazy09 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 5

That is a relief. Next question. It is already stacked with dowel rods. Do I need to unstack before freezing?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #4 of 5

If you have room for it as is go ahead and wrap it well. It will take longer to defrost but all you need do is remove it the night before you need it. Remember to unwrap before thawing icon_smile.gif

cakecrazy09 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 5

I put the cake in the freezer Friday night and when I pulled it out Sat to wrap it the icing has spots. I started with light purple icing and used Wilton purple spray on the tops and part way down the side. The spots are in the areas the spray touched.

So what are my options to get ride of the spots? Way to many to just cover up with decorations. Can I ice over it or do I need to scrape it and start again? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%