Pillow Cake Sturdiness???

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm by crystalina1977

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I am doing a princess cake for next weekend and am thinking about trying my hand at a pillow cake. The mom is giving me free reign as to what to do, so I figured that might be a good time to try it and if it doesn't work out I can always do a regular cake. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how sturdy of a cake it is b/c I will be delivering it to the mom's work and she'll be taking it from there (which ALWAYS makes me nervous). I normally use doctored cake mixes, will that be sturdy enough to make the cake "safe" during transport? Has anyone had one fall apart on them, and if so, why? I'm planning on doing a 10" square covered in buttercream. Any info will be great. Thanks a bunch!

Angela

5 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 6

the pillow cake i made was not any less sturdy than a regular cake. i also used a doctored cake mix. it held up fine.

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 6

I see where yours was fondant covered. Do you think that adds more stability or do you think buttercream would be the same, stability wise? Thanks for responding.

Angela

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:11am
post #4 of 6

I did one for my daughter last year, ( in my photos ) and the recipe wasn't very sturdy and the fondant weighed it down more.

I should of refridgerated it before I covered it, but I was kinda of in a rush.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 11:35am
post #5 of 6

I used fondant ( first try at fondant) on mine with a doctored mix..... same deal, I delivered it to a girl at her work, and she took it home later that day...... actually, with everyone seeing it, I got a couple of orders out of it !
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=381923

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 6

the cake itself should be sturdy enough on it's own with buttercream. I would jst keep it in the fridge as long as possible. i traveled with mine for three hours and it was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%