Job Offer - Really Long Rant

Lounge By jlynnw Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 6:13am by jlynnw

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:04am
post #31 of 34

i am so upset niether of you told me about it! icon_mad.gif I thought we were the closest of close. OK, tell me more about the book now I am over the hurt. icon_lol.gif At this point, I guess her name is all over her work. She just needs to keep my name out of it.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

I just started reading a book called "The E Myth" .....

You go girl! Michael Gerber should pay me a commission for all the times I've recommended this book! icon_biggrin.gif

That is too funny, because I have thought "that sounds like something Indydebi would say" so many times while reading. icon_lol.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

i am so upset niether of you told me about it! icon_mad.gif I thought we were the closest of close. OK, tell me more about the book now I am over the hurt. icon_lol.gif At this point, I guess her name is all over her work. She just needs to keep my name out of it.

The E Myth...the E stands for Entrepreneurial. It is just a book about why small businesses fail. The author states that every year over a million people start a business of some sort. After a year at least 40% will fail. Within five years 80% of them will have failed. And after that 80% of those that made it the first five will fail the next five!

He then goes into explaining the reasons he sees businesses fail. It makes a lot of sense. Here is a good quote from the book that really hit me...

"The fatal assumption is: if you understand the technical work of a business, you understand a business that does the technical work. And the reason that it is fatal is that it just isn't true. In fact, it's the root cause of most small business failures!"

I see this a lot here on the business forum. People jumping in to start a business, because they love cake decorating. He states that these types of people are actually not starting a business, but buying a job. A job that they will soon burn out on.

I have learned a lot and I am only on page 71.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:13am
post #34 of 34

I will have to look for it. I would like to get a business up and going. Hopefully the law will change and I can do it from home. This working for someone else and them get the credit, icon_mad.gif . The "head" decorator has been doing this for over 30 years and she knows it all. I get all the grunt work. She refuses to do anything but old school. No fondant, topsyturvy, or anything that doesn't look like something your grandma would have had. I am all for the vintage thing, but try modern on occasion. Any way, I will have to look for it and see what I come up with. I know about this one lady, I don't think her shop will be open long. I am not sure if I told you about her, oh wait see page 1. icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%