Starting Buisness In Kansas?

Business By ambolil Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 4:38am by shanasweets

ambolil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambolil Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:33am
post #1 of 2

I am currenlty employed in another field, but have taken on cake decorating as a hobby. If I can get good enough, it would be a dream to open a small store locally. Since I am new to all of this, I have some questions....

1) Can I bake cakes out of my home and sell them? Do I have to get a license or have inspections by the health department to do this?

2) Do I need to create a business name and register it with the state?

3) If I can pursue a business outside my home, what is the process for getting things up and running? Who do I contact to find out more information?

Thanks so much in advance! Everyone has been so helpful on this site! thumbs_up.gif

1 reply
shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 2

I am movin to Kansas and looked into this. I emailed the guy at Dept of Ag. You can sell non perishable items from home wihtout a license under cottage food laws. You also cannot sell to someone else who is going to sell. Exa: cant sell to gas station for them to sell. I believe you can register a name with the state for business licence and tax id. Don't know the answers to store front stuff. YOu can email the dept of ag for more questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%