Cake Filling Question

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 3:25am by dahir

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 4

Hi
I am going to be making a 3D football cake for a friends hubbys b-day and she is wanting it to have a filling of some sort. I am making the cake itself a chocolate WASC cake with chocolate buttercream and am going to make a Toblerone chocolate cream filling for it.( I got the recipe from CC)
My question is this, I have never really filled a cake before just usually put a layer of whatever buttercream I am using to frost the cake with.
So i am wondering when using a filling do I scoop some of the inside of the cake out then add the filling or what???
Oh ya I am also going to be covering it all in fondant.
Thanks for any tips.

3 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #2 of 4

Instead of buttercream between the layers you put the filling instead. Pipe a dam of stiff icing around the edge of the layer then put your filling in. Make sure not to make it thick (as in tall) so it does not squish out. Not sure that sentence is clear. icon_confused.gif HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #3 of 4

No, you don't scoop any of the cake out. Just pipe a nice stiff icing dam around the edge and then put the filling inside the dam. Don't put too much of the filling in, 1/2" is plenty. It really isn't that much different than the layer of buttercream that you've been used to using.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #4 of 4

You need to make a dam of really stiff buttercream icing around the cake that the filling is going on. After that just fill in with filling and you should be good to go. The dam will help to hold the filling in so be sure that you dont over fill. Hope this makes sense.
If I can be of anymore help just ask,
Tracy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%