Cupcake Cafe Buttercream Flowers. How Do The Do It!!!

Decorating By chrissypie Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 3:03am by SeriousCakes

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 18

Hello all! I am recently obsessed with beautiful buttercream flowers! Does anyone have any ideas on how the Cupcake Cafe in NYC does their buttercream flowers? They are some of the most amazing I have ever seen! I am not only completely in love with their colors, but I love that glossy look and the shape of thier roses. I see green with envy every time I see those gorgeous floral cakes!! Thanks in advance for any tips!!

17 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 18

Do you have any pics you can post of the flowers? Most of us are not in the NYC area.

nmriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmriley Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 18

They have a website and you can view their cakes there. They are offering classes in cake decorating $715 for the class and $50 for materials.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 18

http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/

Here is the address. The flowers are great. I like to all BC!!!

Too far for me to go for a class and they are a little high!!!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 18

I also love their flowers! There are a few CC,ers that have done some gorgeous cakes that look like theirs!
I would love to be able to do that!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 18

They pipe everything right on their cakes, that's why the flowers look a little different than ones done on a nail. They are one of my biggest sources of inspiration. I made this cake based on one of theirs:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1278523

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 18

Serious_Cakes.. Pretty.. I will have to watch your video as soon as I get home!

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for putting up the info. I had to reply so that I could have this as a watched post for me.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 18

Now just how do they pipe a gorgeous rose directly on the cake?? I can jsut see me holding the cake and spinning it around! icon_lol.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 18

look at heavenlycakes, here on c/c... she has beautiful cakes , i am pretty sure, she uses imbc.. can,t say that she pipes right on the cake.. took a demo in new orleans, guy decorated cakes just like this.. using imbc and beautiful colors.. piped all kinds of flowers, just like heavenlycakes on this site. so check it out....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 18

I looked on youtube for some howto's and didn't see any for their roses...they really are gorgeous! Although if you look at each individual rose they're not that impressive...but with all the other flowers circling a cake is just downright gorgeous!

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

Now just how do they pipe a gorgeous rose directly on the cake?? I can jsut see me holding the cake and spinning it around! icon_lol.gif

Maybe something like this (at the end)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSzbG_y9JE&feature=channel_page

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 18

great videos Serious. I'm just curious.... specifically on cupcake cafe... how do they keep those big flowers from falling off the side/edges of the cake and pulling everything off with it? or sliding down the sides? chill before decorating maybe? I'm baffled!

SeriousCakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 18

I'm not sure how they do it, especially considering they use a meringue buttercream, IMBC I think.
I try to pipe the flowers as flat as possible and that works pretty well for me.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 18

Serious_Cakes, those youtube videos are awesome. Thanks so much. I learn so much more by seeing it done. Now I just have to bake a cake to try the orchids. Plus going to try the roses right on the cake. (Has anyone else ever dropped a perfectly good rose on the way to the cake from the flower nail?) I also like the sides done with a 104. Sure save trying to smooth sides. How did you do the bottom border? Do you have a video on that?

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #16 of 18

Thank you! lol, one of the reasons I started piping right on the cake was because I was tired of the roses falling off in transit. Not only that but I never had my frosting the right consistency, or when I did my hot hands would melt the frosting too fast. Piping everything right on the cake solves each of these problems.
This has gotten me to wondering, the times when I had the frosting the right consistency, I bet my hands were heating up the flower nail as well as the frosting.....

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #17 of 18

Serious_Cakes.........I just wanted to thank you for your awesome buttercream recipe. I started using it exclusively a little while ago. It is the smoothest, creamiest most delicious that I've ever tried. I also love that it is not as sweet as all the others I've used.

Again, a huge thank you for sharing the recipe and video with us! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb~

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #18 of 18

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%