Hexagon Cake Drum, Help!

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm by yh9080

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 7

What do you all use for your hexagon shape cake drums?

The bottom cake will be 14" hexagon so I guess it should be 18" but I didn't see any in the cake supply.

Anyone have a template to cut an 18" hexagon from foam core? Does anyone make their own or where did you buy?

Thanks.

6 replies
JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't made any hex-cakes, but can you buy a round, trace the pan, and offset the line with a ruler?

Wilton has a tutorial online and in their books about tracing their character pans to make a custom cakeboard.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 7

Trace around your hex pan on newspaper, add 2"border around it, cut it out and trace onto foam board or cardboard. Cut out using a box cutter. I usually use 2-4 layers taped together and then covered in fondant.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 7

I so cheat this one. I take a roll of tape that has as much tape thickness that I want the finished board to be. Place the tape roll next to the pan, A pencil on the inside of the tape. Roll the tape around while tracing. Even uniform border is now traced. Cut and go. You can square off the edges if you want.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 7

These are some good ideas, thank you.

Unfortunately, although I can make a rose from icing, I cannot draw a straight line even with a ruler - so this should be interesting icon_rolleyes.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 7

Trace around your hex pan on newspaper, add 2"border around it, cut it out and trace onto foam board or cardboard. Cut out using a box cutter. I usually use 2-4 layers taped together and then covered in fondant.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I take a roll of tape that has as much tape thickness that I want the finished board to be. Place the tape roll next to the pan, A pencil on the inside of the tape. Roll the tape around while tracing. Even uniform border is now traced. Cut and go. You can square off the edges if you want.

This is what I do and it works great. It's quick, easy, and works like a charm. In a pinch, I've also used an old CD although the tape works better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%