Would You Finish It?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:36am
post #1 of 5

Well, I had a cake go terribly wrong. Thank goodness it's a practice cake, just to be seen by those here in my house, even if it's my anniversary cake!

I started out wanting to do a cake like Macsmom's avatar, but 2 of my layers were just way too moist so it didn't cut well. So, after damming & stacking it was waaaay wonky, the bottom layer was being crushed on one side. I slightly move it & the dam broke. I fixed that, but it was still way wonky.

I then realize I am going to have to roll my fondant thin so I can even cover it. Yes, it was my 1st time covering a square cake & why in the world I had to pick a non-normal shape is beyond me! And the flictated thing looks like it's about to fall over. So, my fondant was tearing at the top corners since it was so thin, but I was able to fix it pretty well. But the corners along the sides of the cake & the dang bottom looks terrible. Puckered & pleats everywhere. Actually the entire thing looks terrible, but those spots are the worst.

Now that I've gone on & on. I am wondering, should I just stop there & call it my "practice" or add some decorations so my dh & dd don't laugh too hard? Should I take a pic so I can hopefully look back one day and see I've made progress?

Yes, I'm needing to go back & watch Sugarshack's fondant dvd. I should be ashamed to say I watched it (long ago) and I have a cake that looks like the thing sitting on my counter.

Sorry for being so long. It's just so frustrating when you want to be able to do something & you fail BIG TIME! Just makes me think I'm not cut out for it.

4 replies
ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 5

Everyone has disaster cakes (even the best cakers!) There is even a place to post them! So, yes finish it to where you want it to be and take a picture to laugh at in a few years! And don't be ashamed...we all do it! Don't give up though...just think you can only get better, right?

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 5

I've had many days like this icon_smile.gif and I thank my lucky stars that my mom is there to talk me off that ledge XD. I say finish it, this is a great chance to see how something that started out not so great was able to be completed and look wonderful! In everything we do, we are always learning and no one is ever 100% perfect, some of those fancy flowers might only be there because someone jammed their finger in the side of the cake icon_lol.gif

so at the end of the day take a picture and put in on your desk/fridge/mirror/whereever to remind you where you started so eventually you will be able to see how far you've come icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 5

Keep going and take a pic of it. I have pictures of the first cakes that I made. They are too funny, but it's so good to know how far I've come.

One cake in particular was a white cake with little purple flowers (with the star tip). My husband says they look like purple blobs.

You can do anything you set your mind to!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 5

So I get up this morning & it had "squatted" on the back side. I was eating lunch w/ dh & said "guess you noticed the cake collapsed". He said "it wasn't suppose to be that way?" (he saw me carving it last night). Uh, not like THAT. But told me it didn't matter b/c it'll taste fine!. I just walked in the door & it's squatted some more. I seriously think the bottom layer on that side has been totally squished & it's sitting on the 2nd layer! I may put a few decorations on it, just so it's not a white blob, but I'm not going to go all out.

Dh was sweet though he told me to just call it a Tim Burton cake b/c he's wonky & would be the kind to have a topsy turvy cake anyway. Where dh came up w/ topsy turvy is beyond me b/c he's not in touch w/ the cake world AT ALL. So, I do feel a little better, just wish I could have had it for pics--know what I mean?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%