Help! Herd Of Horses!

Decorating By Boofycakes Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm by kakeladi

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 10

I have a customer who wants a herd of horses around the side of her 8" round cake. any ideas? Do I draw them on by hand? cut out of fondant? can you do a buttercream transfer around the side of a round cake? Please Has anyone done this? I need ideas and suggestions! THANKS!

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:35am
post #2 of 10

www.bakemeacake.net has some amazing cakes!
If ever I win the lottery, I'd like this herd of horses wedding cake:
(Just because....)

http://www.bakemeacake.net/weddingcake17.html

There are 11 pages of "horses" cakes in the galleries:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=horses

Saw at least 2 on the 1st page that could suit your requirements, but my dial-up is soooo slowwww....

HTH

Boofycakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks JanH, but not what she is looking for. I had already looked through the horse pictures and come across anything like what i'm looking for. she wants like a stampede of horses... like this photo.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/744069261_b20d4a31ba_o.jpg

does anyone have any ideas how to get this effect?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 10

ib be thinking to paint the fondant as the background, and make gumpaste horses, to then stick on. painting the horses on would scare me too much!
i think you probably could do a buttercream transfer, bu im not sure ho it would look in the end.
xx

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 10

How about a edible image?...I would say transfer, but don think you can get the dust effect...who knows...people in here are T.A.L.E.N.T.E.D!!!!

Boofycakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 10

I wish I had an edible image printer... but I don't, and unfortunately the cake is for this weekend! I had thought of making a stencil and airbrushing them on, but I can imagine too many things going wrong!

You see... this cake is for the 13 year old daughter of a former art teacher of mine! Making a cake for her makes me nervous! She has to be impressed! And of course she chooses a design that I haven't attempted before, and on short notice!

I did see a picture on here where they used chocolate horses... like a chocolate transfer. but on the cakes I saw they just used two horses. Maybe making chocolate horses would be easier than cutting out a whole bunch out of fondant. and I have white, brown, and black candy melts... and I'll just lay parchment over a simple pattern. Luckily it's only an 8" round, so I hope it wont take too many horses!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 10

I think in this case I would use the edible images and then layer them on each other to give a demensional look. I would think it would be a pain to cut each one out but if you have patience it could be awesome. I would dust the upper part of the tiers with a sky look then add in the ground with a more natural color. GOOD LUCK

Boofycakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 10

yeah, she wants the cake blue and on the top clouds with the birthday message... so there will be sky. But I don't have edible images.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 10

I have had the local bakery make them for me before but they can be expensive. I am sure if you do some hunting, you can find someone to make them for you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 10

Yes, you can make choco transfers since you like that method. Pipe them on a 9" cake pan or styro so they have that contour of the cake. Just make lots of them..... Use the ones that are the best and you can remelt the others when you are finished.
I also suggest a frosting sheet pic over the choco.....please do call around to grocer store bakeries and any supply shop you have near you to see if they will print it for you. Usually they cost around $5.00

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%