Anybody Chinese Here? Need Help With Chinese Character.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 8

My best friend is moving to Hong Kong soon icon_cry.gif and she is quite apprehensive about the move. I want to make her and her family a cake for their leaving party. I want to focus on the more positive side of their move, the great food in Hong Kong. So I was thinking about doing a Dim Sum cake. I would also like to incorporate a Chinese good luck symbol somwhere on the cake which I was thinking I could do in Color Flo and paint with gold luster dust.

I used to live in HK myself so I am vaguely familiar with the Fu symbol but I am not sure if it is appropriate to use in this context - as a Good Luck on your travels sort of things.

If any of you can help point me in the right direction of an appropriate Chinese character to use, I would be very grateful!

7 replies
BakingGirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

OK, lets try again. Halloooooo, anybody out there?

BakingGirl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 8

Hm, you would think statistically there would be a lot of Chinese CC members. All I can hear are crickets chirping and tumbleweed rolling.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 8

My brother is majoring in Asian Studies and I have seen many cakes with "#4" on this site:
http://chineseculture.about.com/library/picks/aatp_luckysymbols.htm

hope thats helps - I would take solice in #4s description of the symbol

mzkatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzkatie Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:49am
post #5 of 8

The Chinese "bon voyage" is "yi lu ping an" (pronounced eee loo ping ahn). The literal meaning is "have a safe trip." A "fu" (luck) cake would be nice, but "fu" is mostly used for new year's. I tried to include the characters here but this system can't read/post them. Just search out the phrase (in quotation marks) in Yahoo. At least one site with the characters will pop up. Hao dangao!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 8

Another suggestion.. This has worked for me. I Eat at a local chinese restaurant and have gotten o be friends with the employee. I needed a cake with Happy birthday written.I asked them to write it for me so I could do the lettering on the cake they were glad to help.

BakingGirl Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you both for your replies, that was very helpful. I found an example of the "yi lu ping an" on a site so I may go for that one, if I can pull it off. The characters looked quite complex so we'll see how well it translates into icing. Thanks again for the help!

BakingGirl Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 8

Triple D, you snuck in there all of a sudden. Your suggestion is a good idea. My MIL is Chinese so I can ask her, but with the time difference I figured it would be as quick to ask online. But yes, your suggestion is good - I had not thought of that. There is a Chinese grocery store in town where the staff are all really friendly so I could ask them there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%