Need Help With Pricing

Business By SpoonfulofSugar Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm by -Tubbs

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 5

how would you price a 40th b-day cake that is a big 4 and big 0. I'll be using 2 9x13 sheets double layered cut to a 4 and 0. then, adding a gum paste shoe on top of the cake or board.....any ideas? My DH thinks at least $75

4 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

You will be baking 2 9x13's... that's 48 servings of cake. You will be carving some away, but you are still baking 48 servings of cake. You are making a template to use to carve your cake and getting frustrated while frosting the odd angles (just so you know how you'll be feeling icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif). You will be making a shoe from gumpaste. All for $75? That's not enough to make that worth it. Not for me anyway. Before carving that's $1.50-ish per serving. Is there anyway you could get ahold of pans in the shape of a 4 and a 0? That would make for much less waste and work. I haven't done the # cakes... but my base price is $5/serving. Looking at your site, it appears that your base price is around $2.50/serving for non-wedding cakes. I'd charge at least that for total servings baked. That's $120. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with JKalman! I'd buy pans that are a #4 and #0. Save yourself the hassle and it will look great.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for the advice...maybe I'll look for some pans....I'm so terrible at pricing

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 5

You might be able to rent the pans from a local cake supply place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%