Fillings Using Whipping Cream Vs Pastry Pride Or Bettercream

Decorating By DreamInCake11 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:25am by JanH

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

I've been using fillings from the cake store and frostin pride/pastry pride/bettercream so that I know the cakes are safe when left out overnight and during the entire reception, but I think these tend to taste rather artificial and would like to improve the taste of my fillings.

When using whipping cream in a filling recipe, how long can the cake with filling be left out safely?

Has anyone tried substituting pastry pride or bettercream in place of whipped cream to make a filling that can be left out? How did it turn out? How was the taste? Did it still taste kind of artificial?

I appreciate all of your experiences and answers, TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

I use bettercream for filling all the time...I just make sure to make a BC dam for it so it doesn't buldge out. My most favorite is vanilla bettercream with crushed up oreos - my customers love it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 7

Safe food handling practices allow foods requiring refrigeration to be "out" for serving for a maximum of TWO hours.

I've substituted Rich's Bettercreme for whipping cream when making a dessert for a shower (that couldn't be refrigerated because of space constraints).

There's no way Rich's Bettercreme is going to replace heavy whipping cream for flavor. But I was secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't be poisoning anyone!

HTH

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 7

I haven't used any fillings from the store, and I haven't ever sold a cake, but the cakes I have made for my kid's birthdays have been fine being left out for a few hours and I fill them with heavy whipping cream whipped up with some pudding in my KA. You would be surprised how long it takes for it to actually go bad. In extreme heat it may be different, but just at room temperature I would imagine that if it is refrigerated before delivery that it will be safe for a 5 hour event. Just make sure to let the customer know that the filling is perishable, so that they don't go and leave it out all night and scarf some down the next morning! I don't know anything about the bettercream or substituting it, sorry!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInCake11

I've been using fillings from the cake store and frostin pride/pastry pride/bettercream so that I know the cakes are safe when left out overnight and during the entire reception, but I think these tend to taste rather artificial and would like to improve the taste of my fillings.

When using whipping cream in a filling recipe, how long can the cake with filling be left out safely?

Has anyone tried substituting pastry pride or bettercream in place of whipped cream to make a filling that can be left out? How did it turn out? How was the taste? Did it still taste kind of artificial?

I appreciate all of your experiences and answers, TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

I have added a little butter flavor plus vanilla flavoring or the other day I added vanilla bean paste to my frosting pride and it was so good! You could even add a package of pudding to it to help the flavor. That is how I make all my mousse fillings.

HTH

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:58am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for everyone's answers and ideas. I guess I will just have to play with the frostin pride to up the flavor a bit.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:25am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyMommy

I haven't used any fillings from the store, and I haven't ever sold a cake, but the cakes I have made for my kid's birthdays have been fine being left out for a few hours and I fill them with heavy whipping cream whipped up with some pudding in my KA. You would be surprised how long it takes for it to actually go bad. In extreme heat it may be different, but just at room temperature I would imagine that if it is refrigerated before delivery that it will be safe for a 5 hour event. Just make sure to let the customer know that the filling is perishable, so that they don't go and leave it out all night and scarf some down the next morning! I don't know anything about the bettercream or substituting it, sorry!

If and to what degree you follow safe food handling practices in your private life is entirely your own affair. tapedshut.gif

However, giving advice to ignore safe food handling practices to members who bake for pay.... icon_eek.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%