Fondant Box Panels

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 3:07am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 4

Its a bad cake day. thumbsdown.gif

So anyway.... when I make the fondant sides for a box cake....and I put them on a flat sheet over parchment or wax paper...I have found that the damp of the fondant (however small) makes the parchment have ridges, which eventually transfers to the fondant. So after like an hour I look and there are very shallow ripples in my "smooth" fondant panels from the parchment.

What can I do differently?

Its too late now, I already messed up my first fondant panels and these are my second, for a cake due tomorrow!!!! icon_cry.gif

3 replies
MamaMayhem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMayhem Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:37am
post #2 of 4

Do you have a vinyl or quilting mat you could lay them on? Sorry for your trouble.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4

I know exactly what you're talking about. Frustrating as heck!!!

I now dry all my fondant and gumpaste on foam sponge. I buy the big squares in the pillow stuffing department of the craft or fabric store.

Haven't had the rippling problem since and there's the added benefit of the pieces drying a lot faster.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 4

Wow what a good idea about the foam. Hmmm..

This cake is a pain...I was SO excited about finally getting to do a shoebox/shoe cake and my measurements are turning out all wrong and I'm having to do ALOT with royal icing. Will also be making a big bow in front, I think, to draw the eye away from all my boo boos!

Wow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%