Pretty Cake Boards

Decorating By Allidsk8 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 12:57pm by Allidsk8

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all! Since I am very! new to cake decorating, I am looking to get some advice on decorating the cake boards themselves. I keep seeing great looking ones with fondant and am wondering how it is attached? Also is it recommended to glue more than one board together if you are covering it? Any help would be great. Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 7

Here's a link from wilton that gives the basic instructions. I've done this only once before and did it exactly the same way and it turned out great. Hope it helps, good luck.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/cake-decorating/covering-cake-board-with-fondant.cfm

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 7

I should add that I used two cakeboards at once for stability reasons.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7

You can cover cake base boards w/almost anything. Wrapping paper; foil; mylar; freezer paper, even fabric! Just make sure you put your cake on a cake circle/board the same size as the cake so the cake is not touching the base board covering. It's best to use a covering that is grease proof....like foil, mylar, or fzr paper.
Using more than one board depends on how big/heavy your cake is. Of course, the bigger the cake, the more need for 2 or more glued together.

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 7

I use wrapping paper and then cover that with plastic wrap.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 7

I use lots of different coverings - vinyl table covers, comic strip pages, etc. - and cover with clear self-adhesive Contac paper. Then, I do as a PP said and put a same-size cake board under the cake, so it isn't actually sitting on the Contac paper.

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the advice! I am doing the cake for my friends Baby shower so maybe some baby themed wrapping paper. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%