Dutch Vs. Non Dutch

Decorating By pennywells Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm by pennywells

pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 4

Is there a difference between dutch processed and non-dutch processed cocoa powder?

3 replies
craftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 4

I use alot of martha stewart's recipies and she calls for dutch processed chocolate. I am not sure what the difference is but I like it and this is all I use now. I even use it to make hot chocolate. I think it gives a darker richer chocolate taste.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 4

I went to "ask.com" to find out ......

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=what+is+the+difference+between+dutch+cocoa+and+non-dutch+cocoa&page=1&qsrc=0&zoom=%3CKW%3EDutch%3C%2FKW%3E+Process+%3CKW%3ECocoa%3C%2FKW%3E+Powder%7C%3CKW%3EDutch%3C%2FKW%3E+Process+Unsweetened+%3CKW%3ECocoa%3C%2FKW%3E+Powder%7C%3CKW%3EDutch+Cocoa%3C%2FKW%3E+Van+Houten&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodreference.com%2Fhtml%2Fart-whats-the-dif2.html

Whats the difference between cocoa powder and Dutch cocoa powder?

Cocoa beans are fermented and roasted and then ground to remove most of the cocoa butter, (the natural vegetable fat in the cocoa bean). What remains is a paste called chocolate liquor. This is dried again and ground to produce cocoa powder. Dutch cocoa powder has been treated with an alkali which neutralizes the powders natural acidity. Depending on the recipe, you cannot substitute regular cocoa powder for Dutch cocoa powder or vice versa. The leavening effect of many baked goods requires a delicate balance of acid and alkaline ingredients. Regular cocoa powder is acidic while the Dutch variety is neutral.

pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks

I am glad I asked, I almost bought a 50lb. bag of dutch processed cocoa and I have one recipe (a popular one) that I have been using hersheys cocoa powder (which does not say it is dutch processed). Again Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%