What Size Should I Use?

Decorating By kalida Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm by ClassyMommy

kalida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalida Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 14

HI fellow CC'ers ,
i will be giving some moms from my PTA group a demo on cake decorating and was wondering what size pan is good to use as a mini cake. They wanna go hands on icon_lol.gif I was thinking Cupcakes are just too small i want them to go home with something they could end up sharing with their kids icon_wink.gif
How about 15cm thats 6" right? Or a lil smaller 5"??

Thanks!!

13 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 14

I'd go with a 6" round.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 14

are they frosting them or just decorating them??

I prefer a 5" or 4" as far as asthetics go on mini cakes, one layer of those sizes looks like a regular cake only in miniature form.

If you go with a 6" cake It'll be easier for THEM to frost if they're beginners but a single layer will look like just that...a single layered cake!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 14

I'm still kind of new at cake decorating, but I would recommend a 6" round.

kalida Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the quick reply icon_smile.gif
Well i was thinking on fondant decorated mini cakes. bring along some ribbon and such.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 14

What you need to consider is that you have to bake these cakes. How many do you need?

I would go even with 4" (10 cm) if your planned design can be executed there. Even if you don't have this pan, you can bake 1 layer sheet cake and cut circles with cookie cutter (or empty can/mug...). Give it a layer buttercream, stack 2 or 3 of these circles and you have your mini cake. There will be rests - make a cake balls!

Take the pan upside down or draw a circle with actual dimensions. You can see if the size and your design both work for you.
Even from 4" cake you can get 4-6 dessert sized servings.
I make often small cakes (10 or 12cm) as desserts for our family celebrations - we don't want any leftovers. This is mostly for 5 people and there is still some cake left.

kalida Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 14

soo icon_confused.gif go with the 6" ??

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalida

Thanks for the quick reply icon_smile.gif
Well i was thinking on fondant decorated mini cakes. bring along some ribbon and such.

Another easy technique to show them is cutting out flowers or shapes from fondant using cutters and attaching them to the fondant with just a little water or vodka. They would probably love that as it's easy and can really add to a cake.

kalida Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 14

thats a good on your right i think they would like that . Thanks newmansmom thumbs_up.gif

kalida Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 14

Majka i will need about 15 of these lil cakes. Really you use 10 cm it seems so small icon_confused.gif i dont have a pan smaller then 15cm. so i would have to go shopping icon_biggrin.gif any excuses to buy more supplies icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 14

I don't use for these an actual pan. I have glass bowl which I did buy very cheaply with this idea in mind. The same are the 12cm "pans". These are enamel bowls bought in all for 39,- CZK store (dollar store) - you know - the china made with plastic lid, sold as storage bowls.
But for 15 cakes I would really buy only a cookie cutter and go with the sheet cake and cutting out.
If you can bake full sheet cake - this means you can get 20 pieces of 10cm cake layers at once, 12 pieces of 12cm to just under 15cm cakes cut out. Think baking time, not only the pans.

kalida Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks Majka So for the late reply. I went to work just got back home. And jumped like a cracky on CC. Oohh well they did warn us in the far-left upper corner of the site hahahahha icon_lol.gif
Thanks soo much!!

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 14

I'd choose the 6in but I've then double it up!

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 14

And jumped like a cracky on CC.

HA HA! Me too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%