How Do You Assemble This Wedding Cake?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 2:26pm by confectioneista

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #1 of 11

i've been asked to do this 4 tier wedding cake and want to block each tier with roses.how do i do it? do i use normal dowel rods and a styrofoam block in the middle? does anyone have step by step pictures? i looked at the wilton website and did'nt find what i was looking for.
LL

10 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 11
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 11

? tall tier cake stand?

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Looks like this to me....

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/push-in-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

On the Wilton picture you provided a link to the separator plate still shows. Other than cover it with flowers, what would you suggest to hide that? I have never used the plastic plates before, always the cardboard ones. So, I was thinking that perhaps they sell some that are slightly smaller than you need to hide that, or do they not sell them like that?

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 11

No, Wilton is NOT the way you'd do this! Actually, Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes book gives detailed instructions on how to do this particular cake. If you can't get your hands on it, let me know and I'll PM the instructions to you. Don't want to infringe on copyrights, you know :}

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 11

Well, I would use the SPS with the 9" pillars (it's similar to wilton's "push in pillars" but more stable). However, I'm not sure how hard it would be to get the SPS to the UK.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 11

There are several way this can be done. You could use small (6"?)
styro pieces as separators instead of pillars and pack the flowers around the open space. This way you can use cake boards the same size as the cake for the 'plate' Glue it to the styro. I'm thinking this might be the way you should go so you don't have to worry about obtaining something not available in your area icon_smile.gif
Or either of the ways already mentioned.

too_nice_to_slice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
too_nice_to_slice Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 11

I have a cake coming up next month stacked like that (kinda: 14"- flowers-10"-8"-then a flower topper) Anyway, my plan is to use a 12" round piece or styrofoam between the 14" and 10" tiers with the (silk) flowers arranged on it.

That just seems to be the most stable way of doing it, so long as i have tea straws in the 14" and 10".

So I guess I'm only help if you're using sliks, lol.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 11
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 11

The cake looks to be a 6, 8, 10 or a 6, 9, 12, with the top two tiers sitting on plates just slightly larger then the cake. They need support and my first thought was that they just used push in columns and then put the floral oasis between the tiers. However, I can see the plate sitting on the bottom tier, so I'm not sure if it's for support or just to hold the flowers. Personally, to get this look, I'd do the push-in columns and let the florist worry about how to get the look of the flowers. If I were doing the flowers, I'd still do the push-in columns and use a cardboard to set the floral oasis on. If it were silk flowers and I was responsible for them, I'd glue them to styrofoams slightly smaller than the tiers they were going under and then use a plate above and below and use the styrofoam as the support between the tiers, and dowels in the tiers. Make sense? Lots of ways to do it depending on the flowers and who has to do them!

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 11

I created a file for the Martha Stewart version of constructing this cake since I've had some requests for it. If anyone else would like it, send me your email - the instructions have pics, too. HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%