Help With Fondant Flavoring

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm by Lori17201

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, I have googled until my eyes popped. I have done multiple searches here and can't seem to find this information. I have some leftover icky Wilton fondant from a class. And to keep it from being so icky, I would love to try flavoring it without messing up the integrity of it. I have read that you should use oil flavorings like Lorann instead of extract. Has anyone done this, and if so, how much flavoring oil did you use, and did your fondant turn out okay? What was your flavoring to fondant amount? I am sure that I can roll it out and add it until the flavor seems right. But if someone has already determined it takes an entire dram of Lorann, I would rather know what has worked than have to keep tasting this nasty stuff. I am concerned that it will be less stable, but I guess to make it more palatable, I am willing to try anything. I know I could make some and flavor it pretty easily, but I would rather use up what I have. Please help me save my tastebuds! Thanks!

2 replies
lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 3

I flavored fondant with oil flavoring. I only used about 1/4 dram for enough fondant to cover a 3 tier (6in round-8in square-12in round). I used the strawberry flavoring to go with strawberry filling. It tasted better than fondant without flavor, but it tasted a lot like chewing gum. Next time I think I'll stick to vanilla. It didn't change the texture of the fondant at all.

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 3

It's leftover, time to experiment and have a bit of fun. Enlist any children you can find.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%