Starting Not To Like Wilton Icing Colours!

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 12:58am by GenGen

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all
I'm starting not to like Wilton icing colours. I tried to make burgundy royal icing today and it was a disaster! After I added about 1/2 the jar, the icing was still looking pink. So I added the rest of the jar (an entire jar) and finally it turned burgundy. But then I tasted the icing and it was NASTY! Tasted like poison because of all the colour! The same thing happened the last time I used the red. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be letting the icing sit for a while and see how the colour turns out?? By the way, it was only about 2 or 3 cups of royal icing. Is there a better brand out there? Please tell me what brand you like to use? Thanks!

11 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 12

Americolor all the way!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Americolor all the way!

Ditto icon_smile.gif

You'll never go back again!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 12

Yep, I agree with the other two posters, Americolor is the way to go! icon_biggrin.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 12

I also love Americolor - works so much better than Wilton. They also make a tasteless red, which doesn't have that nasty aftertaste! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 12

Yep...go with Americolors...especially for the darker shades!

I used the Americolors burgundy for a graduation cake last year and it was awesome - worked great and didn't need that much of it. If you have time, the colors do get deeper as they age so if you can make your icing a day or two ahead of time and let the colors marinate they'll be darker. Americolors also has a navy that works really well.

I've noticed I don't have to use as much of the Americolors for fondant dying as I did Wilton, too.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 12

Ditto to all of the above. I use Americolor almost exclusively!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 12

Yup, Wilton's colors are AWFUL! I got Americolor Super Red and LOVE IT! I got the black as well, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. When I return to the US... I will be replacing ALL my Wilton colors with Americolor!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 12

I'm not sure what is available in your area (besides the M arts and crafts store) . If you are unsure of where to order Americolor - I know that this company out of Toronto carries them, I've order a ton of vanilla beans etc from them and everything has been great.

http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/Americolor_Gel_Paste_and_Airbrush_Colours_s/37.htm

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #10 of 12

The thing about Wilton icing colors, like all Wilton products is.... It's great when you don't know that something better exists. When you do know, you suddenly find that all their stuff is pretty, uh... crappy. They do have excellent customer service when you complain about something, but they never bother to make any of their stuff any better.

Invest in some Americolor. You'll be amazed at how true your colors are and at how little you need to get the color you want. You'll *never* go back to Wilton.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #11 of 12

Golda's Kitchen (out of Ontario) also sells Americolor.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #12 of 12

i would have to order it online, nothing but wilton crud and i have to drive an hour just to get That.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%