Bridal Show Raffle?

Business By ccr03 Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 1:46am by FromScratch

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 19

So I'll be doing my second show this Saturday. I'll be sharing a booth with my sister's equipment rental company.

We are thinking of maybe having some sort of raffle/drawing. We haven't decided.

Have any of you guys had bridal show raffles? How did it go? What did you raffle?

Here are some of my ideas:

We could have two raffles - one from and one for me. Something like a gift certificate for 15-20% off an order.

OR

We could even just have a raffle for an instant giveaway - like a DVD player (you can buy them for like $30 nowadays) or something like that. (A digital photo frame would be cool if we could find a cheap one).

OR

We could even do a gift basket - like a 10% coupon from each of us, some wedding/quinceanera-related music CD, a disponsible camera, and then maybe a t-shirt that has both of our names/info on it.

18 replies
cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 19

I think a raffle could be a good idea, but in my opinion, a coupon for a discount off an order isn't a prize to me. That means I still have to buy something from you so really it's just a coupon. That's just my opinion thoughicon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 19

I love knowing others opinions!

I think I'm kind-of liking the gift basket idea best - it'll be goodies, but the coupons.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 19

How about a fee bridal shower or grooms cake up to a certain value like $50.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 19

Tell me tho... from a business perspective, what is the POINT of the raffle?

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I think leads would be point if you are going to use them properly.

ccr03 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 19

From a marketing prospective, people would sign-in more willinging thus expanding your email/mailing list so you can continue to market to them - for this event and others (birthdays, etc...).

Also, coupons/gift certificates usually pay for themselves because either people will go over the amount of the GC, recommendations, whatever

Also, who doesn't want to win something? Once you have them hooked on the possibility to win something, you talk up your product and sell it! That person may not have gone to you in the first place if they didn't think they were going to get something.

and, it helps create a buzz about your name/business. Just another way to promote yourself.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 19

I would avoid using a 'coupon' for a percentage off with an upper limit. Instead I would do a set price gift certificate, $50 or whatever you are confortable with. A person should be able to order a small birthday cake with that or put it towards a wedding/quin cake.

I think it is better for you and your sister to EACH have a draw - people always prefer two grand prizes rather than one.

And is you go with the gift basket idea please think about what you are putting in there. A t-shirt with your info on it is probably a big waste of money - no 13 year old girl would wear it. No one would wear it. I like useful things or stuff that would get me excited about the event - like a movie.

I might even do two baskets

Quin theme - $50 Gift certificate, related movie, 1/2 dozen cupcakes, princessy pj's...

Bridal theme - $50 gift certificate, related movie (ex. wedding planner), 1/2 doz cupcakes, bridal magazine (especially one with great cakes) mini manicure/pedicure set...

ccr03 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 19

dinas27, those are great ideas! Thanks!

I like the idea of including magazines. I know I can find a wedding one, I would have to look around for a quince one.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:03am
post #10 of 19

i did our bridal show this past sunday and the organizer wanted door prizes. this year she specifically asked for actual things and not percent off coupons. last year i gave a cake serving set, this year i did a candy barrel cake and had it on display with my other cakes in a glass covered cake stand, everyone wanted it, especially when they found out it was the door prize and real cake. i just did an 8" round, it took 9 1/2 kitkats BTW. and luckily i had picked up some valentine M&Ms

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:06am
post #11 of 19

A raffle is something that people pay money to enter in the hope of winning a prize. Some states call this gambling so there may be laws pertaining to how a raffle is run.

A door prize is something that people just drop their name in a hat in the hope of winning a prize. no money exchanges hands for the chance to win a prize.

Careful how you phrase it.

I also do not like "winning" the opportunity to spend money. I detest the fast food games where I win the opportunity to spent a dollar to buy a large fry so I can save a quarter. I'm still out 75 cents.

ccr03 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 19

Thank you for the input! It's great! I think we have kind-of decided on a door prize, - a basket w/different goodies and such in it. I'll see how we word gift certificate so it's fair for everyone!

Thanks again!!

I'll be sure to post pics of the booth

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Quote:

From my experience, it's not worth donating something for a drawing. I saw absolutely no benefit from it. Most bridal shows provide lead lists anyway so it doesn't provide any leads that you already have access. At my show, the brides didn't seem to care where the prizes came from. They were just there to get free "stuff" for their wedding. Many brides show up having many vendors already booked. Some of my brides that already booked their cakes with me went to every bridal show in our area. The reason...to get as many free gifts that they could. One of my brides won everything from teeth whitening to a facial, hair, makeup, dinner for two at a nice restaurant, etc. She wasn't interested in booking with any of the vendors and certainly didn't provide them with any referrals. If you provide a good product, brides will be interested in you whether or not you have a drawing or not. However, it may be different where you're at.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 19

There is quince magazine. It comes out 2x a year & we find it at Wal-Mart's magazine section. I think it's called "Quince Girl" & you can also order it on line at their site quincegirl.com. My daughter's quince is next year. Good luck!

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #15 of 19

Now I'm eating my own words. icon_lol.gif Tonight I was invited to participate in a small bridal show. The participating vendors and brides are by invitation only...one vendor per category, and there won't be any competition. No charge for the booth, but all participating vendors must provide a door prize at the end of the show instead. icon_surprised.gif I'm at a loss as to what to provide. Any more suggestions?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #16 of 19

I usually donate a cookie bouquet. Shows I've been in ask for a $25-$30 value'd item, so a 3-4 cookie bouquet usually covers it!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A raffle is something that people pay money to enter in the hope of winning a prize. Some states call this gambling so there may be laws pertaining to how a raffle is run.

A door prize is something that people just drop their name in a hat in the hope of winning a prize. no money exchanges hands for the chance to win a prize.

Careful how you phrase it.

I also do not like "winning" the opportunity to spend money. I detest the fast food games where I win the opportunity to spent a dollar to buy a large fry so I can save a quarter. I'm still out 75 cents.

wow very well said!

I know at the bridal show I'm attending the person offering a prize for a drawing, or whatever they call it in my state gambling is totally legal!!!

Anyways if you offer a giveaway prize your name goes in the DVD given to the brides in their bag totally worth it!!!!! Also oyu get to be listed in a special spot on their site again totally worth it!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeacakea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Quote:

From my experience, it's not worth donating something for a drawing. I saw absolutely no benefit from it. Most bridal shows provide lead lists anyway so it doesn't provide any leads that you already have access. At my show, the brides didn't seem to care where the prizes came from. They were just there to get free "stuff" for their wedding. Many brides show up having many vendors already booked. Some of my brides that already booked their cakes with me went to every bridal show in our area. The reason...to get as many free gifts that they could. One of my brides won everything from teeth whitening to a facial, hair, makeup, dinner for two at a nice restaurant, etc. She wasn't interested in booking with any of the vendors and certainly didn't provide them with any referrals. If you provide a good product, brides will be interested in you whether or not you have a drawing or not. However, it may be different where you're at.

Yup. The bold (mine) for sure!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #19 of 19

I usually put an 8" cake for any occasion up as my door prize fir shows. They can take it as is or apply it to a bigger cake. It's an easy small cake and usually they will add servings or even apply it to their wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%