Am I Making Enough Cake?

Decorating By JennT Updated 18 Aug 2005 , 8:15pm by alengirl

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 3:49am
post #1 of 17

I have to serve 50 - 60 ppl with this one. Shaped pan on top of 12x18 sheet cake....I'm thinking the shape pan will serve 12-15 maybe, but the sheet cake, not too sure about. There are so many charts and they all seem to say something different for how many it will serve. Anyone use this size often or are pretty sure of how many it will serve? Just want to know if I should maybe make some cupcakes for backup? TIA icon_smile.gif

16 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:15am
post #2 of 17

12 X 18 is a 1/2 sheet cake. It will be more then enough cake for 60 people. You will probably have some left over~

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:21am
post #3 of 17

I think it also depends on what type servings you have as well. Is this for a function where the cake will be cut in uniform reasonable pieces?? I usually make a 1/2 sheet cake for work and I usually get 1/2 of the typical servings out it! But I work with pigs!!
The 1/2 sheet with the shaped should be enough though.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:27am
post #4 of 17

tc is right that you'll have cake left over, but only if you're planning on making it a 2-layer. If it's single layer, I would probably only count on getting around 35 servings out of it, for a total of 50 w/the shaped layer. If this is the case, I would probably make some cupcakes too, just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:43am
post #5 of 17

I never make 2 layers & I have left overs. Sat, I made a 1/2 sheet cake for the Fire Dept anniversary & we had a bunch left. It will feed around 70 people or more.

JennT Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 11:30am
post #6 of 17

TC - how big/small do you cut your slices? I'm thinking that if our 3 kids hold out and we're able to hang around until the cake, that I'll probably be asked to do the cutting/serving, which is fine with me because I can make sure to cut them all the right size! lol But just in case I need to leave before they cut it, should I tell them to cut it into 2 or 3 inch servings, something like that? I'm going to torte & fill with buttercream, so I'm thinking that would be plenty big, since there's going to be other foods served prior to the cake.

But I think I'll make cupcakes with my leftover batter from the cakes, just to be safe. There'll be lots of kids there, so I'm sure they'll be eaten (or taken home!).

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 11:36am
post #7 of 17

TC .... you can feed 70 or more people from a single layer 12x18 sheet cake ?? How ??

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 17

I'm amazed! My half sheets feed at most 30 people! Of course they are single layer. Most people don't cut birthday style cakes as wedding cake sizes.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 17

I'm surprised too!!! Everytime I make a 1/2 sheet I get about 30 servings, but they are usually reasonable sized pieces! Torted and filled you should get more, but with all the kids, cupcakes are a great idea!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 17

Ok, a little OT, a little on topic-I know a quarter sheet is 9x13 and the half is 12x18 so what is my 11x15 pan? Is there anywhere that has a serving chart for these sizes?
I think part of this also depends on what part of the country you are in. When I lived in Florida, all the sheet type cakes are two layer but when I moved to Louisiana, I noticed the grocery stores only do one layer alot or they offer that as an option and I had never seen that in Florida. Hhhmmm... icon_smile.gif

dodibug Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 17

I found this and answered my some of own questions! It has sizes with and without filing, etc. It looks like she is in NY.

http://pieceofcakebyjen.com/default.php

How many cups of batter for each? I can't find my instructions for my 11x15 pan! icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 17

I think you are wise to make some extra cupcakes. The 11 x 15 is very popular here and I find if only serves 30, maybe 40 people at the most.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 17

Well, in the bakery where I work if you cut a 1/2 sheet into 2x2 squares, it feeds about 48 people. It's only a single layer, though.

JennT Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 17

ok - help me understand this .... on that link you posted, dodibug, it said that a single layer 1/2 sheet (12x1icon_cool.gif will serve 30-33 ppl...but with buttercream filling it will serve 65? How does that happen? Do you just cut pretty small servings because they're getting 2 layers? Like 2 in. pieces...would that be a decent size piece since it's 2 layers?

dodibug Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 17

That's what I would think but I'm definitely not the expert on this one! icon_smile.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 17

I don't quite understand I have always been told in class and working in a bakery that a !?@ sheet cut in 2 inch squares serves 48 people I do not understand how filling it increases that Do you then cut smaller peices? I would like to see me pulling that off at one of my family parties Junk funatics!!

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodibug

When I lived in Florida, all the sheet type cakes are two layer but when I moved to Louisiana, I noticed the grocery stores only do one layer alot or they offer that as an option and I had never seen that in Florida. Hhhmmm... icon_smile.gif

I agree with dodibug, I'm from Miami, and all I've seen is two layer with whatever filling in the middle. I don't think I've ever seen a single layer sheet cake. .. Um, how high are those single layers? 1 Layer sounds a little skimpy to me, but then again, I've never seen one. . .
When I make a sheet cake, I like it to be 3 to 3½" at least.
How deep are the pans that your using to bake these single layers?

Things that make you go Hmmmmm. . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%