Everything About Cake Balls

Decorating By MCook Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 4:41am by Rainbow

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 6

I need everyones tips/helpful hints/ "not to's" about cake balls.
I have made some and they were a hit but there must be easier & faster ways of dipping them.
I may have a huge order in the future--could be a couple of hundred--so I need some help on how to dip this many. Has anyone come up with an assembly line of sorts?? Any kind of "dipping machine". I tried putting a few on a cooling rack and pouring on,,,,but that was a gosh awful mess.

Also hints on packaging and transporting.
Thanks in advance.

5 replies
MCook Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 6

OK, maybe I should have worded this topic better. I've seen the thread on here about cupcakes that has been going on a long while with tons of information---that's what I meant to try to get started about cake balls.
A serious discussion on the "how to's".
I've been making them for over a year now with success--mostly family and friends. Recently a company has opened up in the Dallas area--The Cake Ball Company and it has taken off like crazy. I know cake balls aren't new to us at CC, but apparently they are to the general public.
I just want to be prepared and be able to handle orders that I might be able to swing in my home town.

Anyone out there wondering about the same thing??

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

I too would like some tips, i have tried making them twice and I really suck. I really need help covering them, I tried dipping and pouring...guess I will stick to cakes and cookies.

Sarah

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:25am
post #4 of 6

i'll be honest, i've never made cake balls before but this past christmas i mass produced dipped chocolates.
i was originally going for the smooth dipped look, and then i realized it was a waste of time and chocolate.
if you will settle for the homemade (which it is), non smooth finish, i'd say prepare to get messy. icon_biggrin.gif
do whatever it is you need to do to get all your cake balls ready so that you can dip them all in one session. i assume it's the same process as how i did my chocolates, so this is what i did.
put a dab of chocolate on one hand, grab a cake ball with the other, roll it until you've got a layer, then set it on parchment. i'd had bad experiences with cooling racks (the chocolate sticks, then rips my truffles and or it makes ugly rack marks) and the good thing about using your hands is that you can control how much excess there is.. so at least with the parchment there wont be puddles.
and have lots of lined baking sheets icon_biggrin.gif

hth!

& good luck!

MCook Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 6

Put hot melted chocolate in your hand???! icon_eek.gif Hmmm...I'll try just about anything at this point. Are you using Almond bark squares? I get the best results from that. I tried "extending" my bark with choc.chips but that was a disaster because it didn't set hard enough and the chocolate would come off on your fingers when picked up.

I've been using a tool I got from Wilton---little 2-tined fork on one end and a circle on the other. I found the fork end works best.

Also, what amount of icing in the mixture? so far I've used cake scraps so I don't have a real measure of how much cake I have. I've just been plopping icing in until it makes the cake stick together in nice balls and I've been using a small scoop to make the balls.

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 6

Buy a chocolate melting pot...I made 360 cakeballs for a wedding reception last month and that is the only way to go! Wilton sells one, but there are others out there too. When I dip I use a plastic fork with the 2 center tines broken out. There is a recipe here on CC for cakeballs.

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%